Network down

It seems as if FPL has gone out AGAIN!

We have not been able to get another link established in the short time since their last problem and are working to get updates from them.

FPL has confirmed to me they do have a router down that is causing this, AGAIN.
They also have their head network engineer in on this as I could heard him in the background talking.

We are working to get this back ASAP and will be having an accelerated schedule to get another provider up ASAP.

All up now. I am going to be speaking to the director of engineering either tonight or in the morning when he calls me, this type of continual outage is unacceptable from them, and then we pass that along to you and are very sorry for these issues.

As said before we are working to get an alternate provider up as well but it takes a bit of time to do this when running a large fiber ring.

Edit:

This post was supposed to go up about 7:38pm but it did not due to a loss of mobile signal for a moment.

We will be getting a statement tomorrow from FPL tomorrow so what is said today is not their final word on the matter but the preliminary word is this:

On Thursday at NAP of the Americas their entire fiber operations went down when the links back to their core fiber were disabled. There was no one on duty at the NOC at the time that had access to do this so human error was ruled out(they had left some 30 minutes before). They have since Thursday been working with Alcatel engineers to duplicate and prevent such from ever happening again. We are to get an email tomorrow afternoon with more information on this matter. The entire NAP of the Americans FPL client base was impoacted by this outage.

The outage last night was more isolated to the Miami Exchange side, it was not the exact same problem two times in a row, but to us as a client it looked the same. Their network monitoring systems told them of an issue and they had a engineer on it within minutes, upon logging in there seemed to be no problem, but the unit was not working to pass traffic.
In the end he relinked the port and all traffic began working, this had everyone on that side down, but not NAP of the Americas.
Overall this was a very bad week and a vey unfortunate series of events, we will be posting updates on this throughout the next weeks as we make the installation of an additional fiber provider live.

FPL did not send us a statement last night or to this point, I am going to be calling them to get an update and get this official statement today or will post if they do not give yet.

Back