New email can send but not receive

KWSLLC

Guppy
I am in the process of switching over to Jodo. Being a cautious kind of a guy, I have been migrating my personal accounts/sites first to make sure I understand how things work before I start with my paying customers.

I have set up an account for my personal site, JeffKelso.com and I have moved all the files from my old host to the new Jodo. It seems to work fine. I still have the old site (files and email) on the old host but the DNS was changed several days ago.

I set up, through H-Sphere, a master email account of [email protected] that acts as a catch-all. I can log into that account with Horde and send mail without a problem. I get about half of the incoming mail. The other half still goes to the old MailEnable account!

The final wrinkle is that Outlook will get mail from the old account but not the new! I am using the same [email protected] address, mail.JeffKelso.com email server, and password for both old and new.

I do not want to kill the old account until I am sure that the new one will work. Any ideas?

The half going to the old server is not anything we can help, it is DNS caches and mailserver DNS caches causing that, it is not rare for it to happen for up to 7-10 days for some cable internet providers.

So if I delete the old account, I am liable to have incoming email bounced back to the sender? Yikes, that is no good!

Sadly, while DNS is cached that would be the case :(

The issue is not that you don't have DNS setup properly, but that some servers cache well beyond the TTL setup in DNS.

OK, thanks for the info.

Here is my plan of attack. I will check both email servers until the old one has not had any incoming emails for one week at which time I will kill the old account. I will advise my customers to do the same. Pain in the neck but better safe then sorry.

Back