New Stand-by servers

Yash

Bass
Dated: November 21, 2004

After the Win5 issue, we are in the process of setting up fully installed stand-by servers for Windows 2003, Windows 2000 and Red Hat linux. Previously, we had a servers always available incase we wanted to swap hard disks. Now we will have servers fully installed with an OS always available if we need to use them.

We are also testing our new hard disk imaging locally here. We are confident that in the event of another situation where we need to recover a server, this new system would allow us to do it in 4 to 5 hours. We are hoping to put this in production within 1 week. The tests will involve extensive trials on Dual XEON SCSI RAID servers to ensure we can recovery in the future with no issues

Our new remote backup servers will continue to be used to ensure safety of data from any situation where data on local backup mediums are lost.

We at JodoHost will be pursuing a very aggressive disaster recovery plan after the Win5 incident and our customer's will see dividents from this soon.

Just to update customers. We have done some successful tests with the new recovery system. We predict we can restore a corrupted OS within 60 minutes and a corrupted user directory (rare) within 4 hours. This is under the condition where the 3rd hard disk we keep on our systems remains intact in any case where we need to recover a system. The 3rd disk had been installed on our systems exclusively to house the images of both OS and user partitions. We have never had a situation till date where we have lost a 3rd hard disk (SCSI and not in RAID) along with the primary or secondary ones together at the same time. In the case of such a situation, we synchronise our disk images with a backup server in another facility to ensure no possibility for dataloss. But customers need to realise that in the VERY VERY rare situation where we lose the OS, cant recover the OS and also lose the 3rd hard disk, we will need to restore over network and than can take substantially longer (upto 24 hours).

This system spamaalalals our disk redundancy we have on all servers (RAID1 or RAID5). We will always have two backups of customer data, one locally and one remotely. I hope I have sufficiently described our backup system and customers with questions are free to email me

Back