New WebMail Interface

I don't care for the DW interface and it runs slow, checked it out a few times during the day.

What about the Enduser being able to change their password without going to the CP?

Another large host that I resell with (I will withhold the name) uses AtMail and users complain all the time. In fact, I believe they are considering dropping it in favor of something different.

@Mail is very buggy from what I've seen.

I have used DWMail before and I have always liked the cleaner interface since I feel horde is slightly mugly, but it did appear slow the first time I accessed it and the security code will become a pain.

One question though. When you use a webmail package and it is in POP3 mode, does that mean it is literally pulling your mail and storing it on the web mail server to be read? Is it deleting the mail from the POP3 so later your outlook client will not get the mail?

Glad to hear Horde will still be an option. Are there skins for horde to make it easier on the eyes?

Thanks

having HORDE standalone there will be other styles available, there are some nice looking styles as well. POP3 won't remain to be the default mode, as IMAP is more effective for webmail, I will pass this along to Yash :)

I'd like to repeat the comment that all current email interfaces (mail.domain.com, and the 3 options available there) should be kept intact. All my customers know how to access their webmail that way, and it would be a majot pain in the *ss to start teaching old dogs new tricks, if you know what i mean.

Also - for the new interface - it should be fully multilingual, for example: currently only Squirrel mail supports Hebrew fully, Horde doesnt. So lets try make sure that all of this is supported.

my 2 cents.

thanks.

I took a brief look at DWMail and it appears fine.

Two things though:

1. If you go ahead, most crutial is: "Resellers could brand this webmail URL by simply adding a CNAME record to any of their domains or subdomains pointing to hspheremail.info or the IP address. Detailed instructions will be posted shortly."
  2. We've had endless problems with Horde which I believe are cause by it using IP address as a means of tracking logged in sessions - most of our user base's IP addresses are constantly changing so they can never access their mail using Horde. Whatever you use must cater for this somehow.

Good luck...

I have used DW Mail for the past few days an I like it. I keep receiving errors and I can't get in right now, but I think once the bugs are worked out, it will be a good solution.

Adam

Yash,
Just two questions
Is there going to be a https version for users? and;
Will there be a way uses can change their own password?

ER

I just got this error when trying to get into Web Mail:

There was an error connecting to your mail server. Your server reported: Connection failed to mail.jodoshared.com,143: Connection timed out

Any ideas?

Adam

One more opinion:

I found the DW interface to be pretty clean and, overall, not bad to use.
One thing I do *not* like is the login, where you're required to enter the "confirmation code", or whatever it's called. For one thing, you can't tell a *one* from an *ell* (L), so you end up having to re-enter ALL your information when it fails. It's easy to mis-type, so you get to re-enter a lot, anyway. What a PAIN. I'm not sure I know why we need that level of security, but it ought to accept "close enough" in my book. Major pain...

I've been mainly a Horde use and prefer that it stays around. I do like how DW lets you delete emails in a single step, rather than the old "Delete", now "Purge Deleted", as on Horde.

All for me.

Yash said:
Okay, my comments:

I hate the security code stuff. Others have said it already, but I'll say it again...it's a big pain in the butt and the code can be very ambiguous looking (e.g., L versus 1, O versus 0)

From where I sit, it's essential that some method outside of the CP be available for changing mail passwords.

I intensely dislike the idea that there will be no link from the CP to Webmail. This is something I use a lot in support of my customers and perhaps the biggest advantage to me in providing support is that I can get into my customers' mailboxes without having to exchange mail user IDs and passwords.

I have customers who make the same use of the CP to access THEIR downstream users' email when problems occur. Not being able to do so will terminally cheese them.

So, while I fully support a faster, less resource-intensive solution to Webmail, DW as you appear to be implementing it is a major step back from what we have today.

Charles

Zarro said:
I've been mainly a Horde use and prefer that it stays around. I do like how DW lets you delete emails in a single step, rather than the old "Delete", now "Purge Deleted", as on Horde.
You can delete in one step with Horde too by changing the settings within the account. :)

manopb said:
You can delete in one step with Horde too by changing the settings within the account. :)

Who KNEW??? OK, then show me the setting in DW that lets me bypass the "security code"!

;)

*Bump* on the password issue.

This will affect my accounts the most, along with no CP access to the mail accounts for support issues.

Otherwise, the addition of a new mail client to choose from is great, choices are good.

cpmiller said:
I intensely dislike the idea that there will be no link from the CP to Webmail. This is something I use a lot in support of my customers and perhaps the biggest advantage to me in providing support is that I can get into my customers' mailboxes without having to exchange mail user IDs and passwords.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. I use the CP-webmail access all the time to help out clients.

A while back, I tried installing DWMail to provide an alternate webmail client for my users. I do like the UI. However, it would not work for me. DWMail would not send mail outside of Jodo-hosted domains. I corresponded with the DWMail developer a bit and found that it was a built-in limitation of DWMail. I can probably dig up the trouble tickets I logged with Jodo while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

It's been a while since I've checked in on DWMail. So, perhaps the problem has been fixed? I will need to do a bunch of checking to confirm that it works before telling my clients to use it.

Tim

Hello Tim,

That is not an issue, it will send anywhere, I had DWmail years ago on a private account and it worked fine.

Rest Assured there will still be CP links, we are not going to remove them in any way, just have them go to a dedicated webmail server.

skypanther said:
I wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. I use the CP-webmail access all the time to help out clients.

A while back, I tried installing DWMail to provide an alternate webmail client for my users. I do like the UI. However, it would not work for me. DWMail would not send mail outside of Jodo-hosted domains. I corresponded with the DWMail developer a bit and found that it was a built-in limitation of DWMail. I can probably dig up the trouble tickets I logged with Jodo while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

It's been a while since I've checked in on DWMail. So, perhaps the problem has been fixed? I will need to do a bunch of checking to confirm that it works before telling my clients to use it.

Tim

I have a custom install of DW running fine on JH - without issues on sending... I can send you my settings if you are interested in getting it to work.

I believe most of my customers use Horde, that would definitive be a must. Also, mail.domain.com should keep working as it is now, even if it goes straight to one webmail interface. I don't want customers to have to go to mail.mydomain.com to access their mail or explaining them how to setup a CNAME from the CP.

Also, on another host I have used SmarterMail http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterMail/Overview.aspx?ref=51
I don't know it much so I can't vouch for it, but you could try it, it seems good.

Back