persistent problems with FTP

I have been having problems uploading files to our site for quite some time. We are only using 760MB of our alotted 1600MB so space is not the problem.

We have a foxpro database on the site and the database files change frequently, so I have to copy over the dbf files and related files on the site with new versions every so often.

The last time this happened a few weeks ago, I was able to upload some of the files to the site with no problems, but then I reached a point where I received an FTP error stating that there was no more space available. Obviously this is not the case due to the amount of space we are using that I mentioned above. When I submitted a trouble ticket, the person responding merely asked me to zip the files and send them so he could place them on the site. So I never found out what the cause of the problem was.

Now I am trying to replace data files on the site again and experiencing the same problem. A few files went up, but then it stalled on a 1.61MB file after uploading 85% of it. The ftp log stated that there was not enough disk space. I tried it again (several more times) and it kept stopping at 85%.

I waited a while, deleted the existing file on the server and then tried again. It still won't complete the transfer of this file, but now instead of the disk space error, I get the following in my FTP log:

ERROR:> Can't write to data socket. Socket error = #10053.
426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
ERROR:> Connection closed; transfer aborted.

Does anyone know what the problem is? So far, the technical support response has not been very helpful. This is getting rather frustrating and causing me to rethink my hosting options.

Keven,

What server is this, as every server has atleast 15GB of free, there is 0 issue with that.

One thing to check would be the FTP Quota in the control panel, it can show that you might still have 100's of Mb left on the Disk Usage graph, but the FTP quota may be less than the full limit available.

Ah, I remembered a domain of yours, and that was in fact the problem:
800 MB used out of 800 MB in unlimited files

Fixing that for you now.

Edit: all set.

Stephen said:
Ah, I remembered a domain of yours, and that was in fact the problem:
800 MB used out of 800 MB in unlimited files

Fixing that for you now.

Edit: all set.

Thank you Stephen, that solved the problem. Now hopefully you can explain this to me so I can find a way to avoid the problem in the future. Is there a 800MB limit in FTP transfers per month? If so, when is this monthly quota reset? Is there any way around this quota, or would that mean upgrading to a different plan?

If there is a way for me to change or reset this quota, I sure could not find it in the control panel.

Keven,

It is not somethingthathas to be reset, it was becasue of the free space upgrades we gave for the plans, the main disk space guage was updated, but the FTP quota was still set on 800MB, there is not monthly limit except the overall limit, and it will go above and charge for each GB overage.

Back