Privately hosted Exchange server

Sailor

Perch
On a quick search I see nothing but %*$#@ about MS Exchange but ...

A client is installing MS Small Business Server and is interested in hosting his own Exchange Server at his office. I have no opinion either way on this, but wonder what is involved if he wants to do this. I will still maintain his web server here at Jodo.

What would I need to do to allow him to get his mail via Exchange? Would Exchange just query his POP server? The advantage I can see there is that if (when) his SBS server crashes, inbound mail will still work.

Thanks,
Rory

if he has a static IP, you can create a DNS MX record with a priority of 5 pointing to that IP, which will relay the mail to there, keep the built in MX record at 10, and if his goes down it will come here.

Sailor, keep us posted here please. I might have to do the same sort of setup for a company soon and I'd love to learn from you how to handle this.

Tim

Stephen's method is the best if the client has a static IP, easily justified but is an extra monthly cost.

If the client has/prefers dynamic IP then just configure POP connector on the Exchange Server, not as good an option but it does work.

Note that if the client intends on sending emails from his exchange server with a dynamic IP he'll have some major issues. Lots of mail servers & spam listings don't take kindly to mail servers with dynamic ip (or without reverse DNS).

Short version:
Do what Stephen says! :p

Just curious would you have to create the same accounts here as the Exchange server in case the Exchange server went down?

Hmm I don't want the backup to recieve the email only hold it until the primary is back online and then forward there when its back up. Probably not possible correct?

Back