Query Governor Threshold set too low

Dave

Perch
I put in a ticket September 26 (BDW-23484-202) about getting the following SQL Server error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'

The query has been canceled because the estimated cost of this query (111) exceeds the configured threshold of 38. Contact the system administrator.

Stephen replied with the following message:

I put query governors in place because of the fact that some connections on MSSQL were using far too many resources, what exactly are you trying to delete that is going to use 111 on the query? That is HUGE HUGE in size.

I indicated I was now getting the error whenever I delete even a single, small post from the WWG forum. Also, that this error was causing topic records to be orphaned because the error stops these correpsonding records from being deleted when the only post in a thread is deleted.

I also indicated that in the WWG support forum it was suggested a threshold of 300 is a reasonable level.

To date I have not gotten a resolve. There has apparently been no change to the delete record code in the forum software that I have been using for the past 2 years that I have been with JodoHost.

It would appear the threshold of 38 now in place is far too low. This issue is not only extremely irritating, it is seriously hampering the administration of my very busy site, causing me problems with orphaned records and having to manually clean up records, and making my forum unprofessional looking for moderators and authors who delete their posts.

If this issue cannot be successfully resolved, I will have to consider moving my business to a webhost that can support the simple task of deleting forum posts.

38 is not low at all, I will see what I can do, but we can't allow one DB to use all resources of the server, a query of 111 is EXTREMELY high.

Dave,

I have increasedit to 112 and it can not go higher, and if problems happen again I will have to take it back down lower, this is on the same server as WWG, and other customers can't suffer because of one user. I know you have a large database, but it really seems to need some optimizations in a bad way.

I have done further experiments here, we have another customer with a forum that is larger in size, and 30-40% larger in post counts, a search on that forum takes 0.4sec, deleting a post on yours should never take 111 seconds, even in an estimate.

I believe your database need some reorganization or something, because there is no way anything should take that long if the database itself is alright, and I am convinced there is some issue with the DB itself.

Back