Question concerning Custom MX Record addresses

Actually MX is only incoming, I thought you meant to make an A record.

For MX you only need the mail.*****.com
:smile:

Sorry about that confusion SMTP does not need an MX record
OK, so I have to make a custom A Record for SMTP then or, should I just keep the MX record for incoming and delete the smtp record?

MX and A have different purposes, you should be good to just remove the MX record for SMTP server.

OK, did that already. I was looking at the CNAME area too. I am not sure what that does but I will have to Google it to find out. Same with A records.

I hope that the way it is now, it will work. I don't want my client to be calling me in 24 hours complaining again. Thanks again Stephen!

you could CNAME mail.theirdomain.com to mail.theirispname.com
and CNAME smtp.theirdomain.com to smtp.theirispdomain.com and make it more custom for them, but it wont really matter :)

Has the clients ISP Mail Server been setup to receive mail from their JH domain.com address? It has to be set up so it can create and route email to the proper mailboxes.

I still have a feeling that you have only dealt with this on the JH end and not the client ISP end.

The ISP client seems to be the one saying it is, so Cap'n can only do what the client is directing, I think that is the case anyway :)

Penhall & Stephen,

OK! I think this might be starting to happen now. I spoke with my customer and asked them to call their ISP and ask for mail settings. They gave me settings for both the mail Domain and the SMTP Domain.

They also told my customer that they will not only receive their Domain email that would normally be sent to our server, but that they could also mask the outgoing emails to appear that they are coming from [email protected]!

I have one last question for the experts!;) When changing the MX records, do I have to make one entry for mail.theirhost.com and another one for smtp.theirhost.com? OR, should I just add one entry (being the first one listed above)?

Thanks again guys!:)

Sorry, I misread this post - I thought that Cap'n told his client that --- not that their ISP told them that.

My bad... sorry

you could CNAME mail.theirdomain.com to mail.theirispname.com
and CNAME smtp.theirdomain.com to smtp.theirispdomain.com and make it more custom for them, but it wont really matter :smile:
Stephen,

I will try that and see how it works. However, there is no reference of SMTP currently shown under the CNAME area. There is just one that references mail5.mydomain.com. But, I'll go ahead and add the ones you suggest. Thanks.

Has the clients ISP Mail Server been setup to receive mail from their JH domain.com address? It has to be set up so it can create and route email to the proper mailboxes.

I still have a feeling that you have only dealt with this on the JH end and not the client ISP end.
Penhall,

Before I made any changes on the JH side, I called my client and had him contact his ISP. I told them to go ahead and setup their end. They had finished doing that about an hour ago. So, I think we are on track now.

you don't see any smtp.theirdomain.com because Hsphere doesn't support it as a hsphere controlled config, but it DOES work for making a CNAME and custom MX.

I would probably suggest that the client just uses their ISP smtp server address anyway, possibly avoid some authenticaion/port blocking issues.

Again, sorry on the misreading of the previous email - I'm always leary of letting clients deal with techy stuff and would rather go techy-to-techy when possible.

Cheers Cap'n

you don't see any smtp.theirdomain.com because Hsphere doesn't support it as a hsphere controlled config, but it DOES work for making a CNAME and custom MX.
Got ya! I will be attempting that in just a bit. I just want to make sure that I place the correct "name" in there for each one. I know what the actual addresses are, but I want to make sure that the $ORIGIN is correct when I am done.

I would probably suggest that the client just uses their ISP smtp server address anyway, possibly avoid some authenticaion/port blocking issues.

Again, sorry on the misreading of the previous email - I'm always leary of letting clients deal with techy stuff and would rather go techy-to-techy when possible.

Cheers Cap'n
No problem Penhall. This has been a long and confusing thread. I'm even more confused than you are!;)

I agree about not letting clients deal with the techy stuff. That's why we set things up for them instead of giving them their own CP's. I'm the host and I can't even figure things out correctly! LOL! If they had control of everything - "Oh my God" - my life would really be a zoo!:D

I rarely give my clients control panel access either --- a monkey with matches in a room full of dynamite! (My reselling is usual as a value-add to other work that I do with the client)

Ok fellow techies... please tell me this is correct!

Custom MX records
mailsite.clientdomain.com IN MX 1 mail.theirhost.com [/IMG]
[/URL]
Custom CNAME records
smtp.clientdomain.com 86400 IN CNAME smtp.theirhost.com [URL="]
[/URL]
mailsite.
clientdomain.com 86400 IN CNAME mail.theirhost.com [URL="[/IMG][/URL]

a monkey with matches in a room full of dynamite!
:D That's exactly what I was picturing! LOL!

Thanks Stephen,

I did make two minor changes since I posted this. On the MX record, I removed the "mailsite" name and left it blank because it automatically defaults to the base Domain.

And secondly, on the CNAME section, I tried to make the "NAME" > "mail.clientDomain.com", but it won't let me. I think the reason it won't is because I have yet to turn-off the mail service and it thinks I am duplicating the default address. Once I shut off the mail service after propagation, it should allow me to change that. I think???

Back