Question on black lists / blocks

It seems that a couple of the mail servers are 'black-listed' by Mircrosoft/MSN/WindowsLive.

I attempted to jump through some of their hoops, but it's evidently and IP based block, and not a domain based block....

Usually these just go away, but the latest one (mail5.m****here.biz) has lasted for about three days now.

Ironically, as I type this, it appears to be working again!

However, I'd still like to know - and maybe others would too - what's the best way to handle something like this? Is there a standard period of time to wait before submitting a ticket? Can you do anything, or are tickets just a waste of your time? ;)

A couple of weeks ago mail6 was getting blocked by Charter/Comcast - they gave me pretty much the same story: 'sorry, somebody from that address is flooding our users with Spam...I know it's not you....but too bad...'. Once again, the problem disappeared the following day, but it also popped back up a couple of times.

Thanks!

they don't base it on spam as much as on volume, if someone sends a 100% legit newsletter they may still block it. they never send us reports unless it is really spam.
and if it is really spam, it is fixed by termination/removal of email access to spammer.

If we get continued bounce emails for more than a day, should we notify you?

They seem to block based on the IP of the originating mail server, not based on a domain name.

One specific example is my own domain, which is on mail5. From Saturday until Tuesday emails I sent to friends on MSN and Hotmail were rejected.

Ironically, I looked through all the black lists I could find, and none of them listed the Mail5 IP address, I guess Microsoft just maintains their own list...

Thanks!

If we get continued bounce emails for more than a day, should we notify you?

They seem to block based on the IP of the originating mail server, not based on a domain name.

One specific example is my own domain, which is on mail5. From Saturday until Tuesday emails I sent to friends on MSN and Hotmail were rejected.

Ironically, I looked through all the black lists I could find, and none of them listed the Mail5 IP address, I guess Microsoft just maintains their own list...

Thanks!

you can send them to us yes.

no MS doesn't do their own, they use norton which is ;( their inept ability to respond to anything is well noted among our staff.

Back