Questions before I start

I've got a small consulting business with about 35 clients (and growing), that I provide services and some level of webhosting. I've got CF, ASP, and increasing, PHP-based applications over a couple of different webhosts, and I'm looking to consolidate into one provider. As you can imagine, managing all these different entities is pretty cumbersome.

In doing my research, it does appear that Jodo might be able to meet all my needs, but I do have some questions. Some of my sites are small and straightforward (static pages, email forms, a couple of email accounts) and some are a little more involved with SQL DBs, dynamic app on CF, ASP, or PHP, commerce, etc. So, I'm considering a combination of the LiteHost plan and the WinVPS value. I am Windows-centric, so I need to maintain these in that environment for my own comfort level. So, here are my questions:

If I did do both, would I be able to manage them both with the Plesk CP? There's a statement on the VPS page that appears to say that. But, I can't find anything on the Reseller Hosting page that confirms it. On the reseller, it seems the H-Sphere CP is the only option. If not, I suppose I would just manage them as 2 different accounts?

On the reseller hosting page, for LiteHost, it says for the CF MX7 feature, 2 domains free. Do I understand that to mean that 'unlimited' domains doesn't apply to CF MX7, and that if I want more, it's extra? And, if so, how much extra?

There's a mention in the WinVPS section that Plesk Power Pack should be installed to get some added features, but I couldn't find any additional info on what the Power Pack was, and what it did for me. I saw what looked like PowerPack info for Linux, but I didn't want to assume the same features were offered.

I will probably want to install CFMX6 (that's the license I have) in the WinVPS environment. I believe it's called a 'server' license. But, to confirm, would I need a license for EACH site that I'd have configured on WinVPS, or is the one server license sufficient for my one WinVPS and ALL the site I may host there?

Ultimately, I feel that having admin control over a VPS box will give me a certain level of comfort when building, installing, and configuring the various applications I intend to use for some of my clients. But beyond that, do you have a document that does a pro vs. con comparison of the reseller plan vs. the WinVPS plan which highlights the advantages and/or disadvantages of both. I have my own theories, but I just want to be sure I've thought of everything.

That's all I've got for now.

Gene Crawford

I've got a small consulting business with about 35 clients (and growing), that I provide services and some level of webhosting. I've got CF, ASP, and increasing, PHP-based applications over a couple of different webhosts, and I'm looking to consolidate into one provider. As you can imagine, managing all these different entities is pretty cumbersome.

In doing my research, it does appear that Jodo might be able to meet all my needs, but I do have some questions. Some of my sites are small and straightforward (static pages, email forms, a couple of email accounts) and some are a little more involved with SQL DBs, dynamic app on CF, ASP, or PHP, commerce, etc. So, I'm considering a combination of the LiteHost plan and the WinVPS value. I am Windows-centric, so I need to maintain these in that environment for my own comfort level. So, here are my questions:

If I did do both, would I be able to manage them both with the Plesk CP? There's a statement on the VPS page that appears to say that. But, I can't find anything on the Reseller Hosting page that confirms it. On the reseller, it seems the H-Sphere CP is the only option. If not, I suppose I would just manage them as 2 different accounts?

On the reseller hosting page, for LiteHost, it says for the CF MX7 feature, 2 domains free. Do I understand that to mean that 'unlimited' domains doesn't apply to CF MX7, and that if I want more, it's extra? And, if so, how much extra?

There's a mention in the WinVPS section that Plesk Power Pack should be installed to get some added features, but I couldn't find any additional info on what the Power Pack was, and what it did for me. I saw what looked like PowerPack info for Linux, but I didn't want to assume the same features were offered.

I will probably want to install CFMX6 (that's the license I have) in the WinVPS environment. I believe it's called a 'server' license. But, to confirm, would I need a license for EACH site that I'd have configured on WinVPS, or is the one server license sufficient for my one WinVPS and ALL the site I may host there?

Ultimately, I feel that having admin control over a VPS box will give me a certain level of comfort when building, installing, and configuring the various applications I intend to use for some of my clients. But beyond that, do you have a document that does a pro vs. con comparison of the reseller plan vs. the WinVPS plan which highlights the advantages and/or disadvantages of both. I have my own theories, but I just want to be sure I've thought of everything.

That's all I've got for now.

Gene Crawford

lots of questions there and a good idea, I will work on a little comparison table this afternoon and try to have something by evening :)

Thanks for the prompt acknowledgement. I'm sure you're aware that getting quick answers to my questions is part of the decision-making process. Ooof, it IS a tough business! :) From the other messages I've seen on this board though, I'm confident you folks are up to the task.

Thanks again,

Gene

....If I did do both, would I be able to manage them both with the Plesk CP? There's a statement on the VPS page that appears to say that. But, I can't find anything on the Reseller Hosting page that confirms it. On the reseller, it seems the H-Sphere CP is the only option. If not, I suppose I would just manage them as 2 different accounts?...

Gene Crawford

1. Yes, two different account will be required ie Windows VPS and H-Sphere Reseller. Only Billing of Windows VPS is done in H-Sphere.

2. It will be $ 1.00 per domain per month.

3. Power Pack is a bundle of the SpamAssassin, Application Pack, Helpdesk, Tomcat, ColdFusion, and MSSQL Add-Ons.

I am still working on a comparison of the two even with the answer there, as it was a good question and will be a benefit to others :D

Please do, I think that document can be helpful, even after the fact, for folks who are starting small and may need to exand. It could serve as a nice guideline/rule of thumb for us.

And, in the meantime, can you address my question about the CF install in the WinVPS environment? For that matter, do you guys have any kind of discounted licensing program with Adobe CF, or any suggestions to make what I want to do more affordable?

I will go ahead and tell you that I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with you guys. To that end, is there a recommended order in which I create these accounts? Or, any benefits to doing them in a certain order?

Thanks,

Gene Crawford

Ok, on 3rd thought, I just read the JH H-Sphere Reseller Guide, followed by reading the WinVPS Plesk Tutorial, and it now appears to me that going with WinVPS and Plesk will give me the overall functionality I require (if I can get my previous question about CFMX6 or whatever version addressed). I didn't realize that with WinVPS, you can create your own reseller accounts and the supporting features.

The big advantage of the H-Sphere plan, I guess, is the readily available and inexpensive CF offering. However, if I can get the CF installed on the WinVPS, I think I can everything I could with the reseller.

Having that pros and cons document we discussed earlier could really be a nice asset. But, upon quick glance, can you tell me if I might be missing something?

I trust you understand that I'm getting ready to make a significant decision here on the future of my business, thus the extreme diligence before committing.

Thanks,

Gene Crawford

Hello,

Sorry I have been stuck at DFW airport today due to a lot of American Airlines plans being grounded.

Now to answer the cF question, we were working on something with macromedia on a low level before they were bought by Adobe, we haven't really sought out and such arrangement since then as what they have on offer is not a very good discount even for a large comittment.
It is best to buy it outside of us and install it, you may be able to find an older version somewhere and do an upgrade license with is significantly cheaper :)

Back