read-only ftp (win)

arathra

Perch
I have a client for whom I've set up an ftp account where he can upload files. He wants to allow read-only access to this account but I'm not sure how to set this up. Is this possible?

Hi Arathra

The question is bit confusing to me.:rolleyes:
If you want to allow user to upload a file that means you "permit to write" on the server. Then you cannot give read only access to the same user.

Or is it that I am not getting ur question right. Can u plz elaborate more on your requirement.

Cheers
Yogi

I want User A to be able to upload/delete files from the server.

I want User B to be able to read those files (download) them only. They can't upload their own files or delete any files from the server.

:)
Ok, got it. I am using VPS plan so I am assuming the admin anel is through Plesk.
Domains>YourDomain>FTP Management> Add new FTP subaccount for domain YourDomain.com

Choose a appropriate directory under root (Not a good idea to give access to root.)
Create user A in plesk with permissions to read/write
Create user B with read only permissions.

Hope this helps. If u r on shared plan, I am not very sure what options are available in control panel (I was using it almost a yr back so unable to recollect)

Cheers
Yogi

Attachments

• ftp_settings.JPG
    ftp_settings.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks - it looks like it has to have a dedicated IP to have permissions set on the ftp. I'm not ready to give the customer that so... well he'll have to wait.

Thanks for your help.

Arathra,
Don't know if you've solved this, but I regularly get asked for something similar. What I usually tell people is to have their clients use HTTP to download the files, rather than FTP. Basically, User A uploads a file to a directory on the web server, then sends an email to User B with a direct http link to the file. That way they don't have to mess with ftp and passwords.
For one client, I made it even easier - I made a default page that scans the download directory than creates a custom branded file list with size, type, etc.

That's an interesting idea. It would also mean giving a downloader the address of a single file rather than the contents of an entire directory.

Cheers!

Back