Redirecting Non-existing Subdomains

roaddc

Guppy
Is it possible to redirect URLs of subdomains which are not yet created to a default page?

e.g.

sub1.mysite.com --> mysite.com/subdomain.aspx
sub2.mysite.com --> mysite.com/subdomain.aspx

note: sub1 and sub2 subdomains do not exist.

Thanks.

is it on windows or linux. If linux then yes i know some one did it before , so maybe some one using linux could help.
In windows , i think the only way is get the url requested in the header and then in your default page you can rediredt to the requested folder.

mohmedsh said:
is it on windows or linux. If linux then yes i know some one did it before , so maybe some one using linux could help.
In windows , i think the only way is get the url requested in the header and then in your default page you can rediredt to the requested folder.

I'm using Windows.

Right now, I'm getting an 'Under Construction' error when I try to access a subdomain that does not exists.

About the default page, is this the one that is set in the HSpehere Control Panel or should I ask Tech support?

Thanks.

What I did, was create the subdomain than add the redirect. Also, I deleted the subdomain folder, so it's practically non-existent.

am not 100% sure

but there may be away of making all unused subdomains an alias of the main domain

then you could use a simple ASP script to find out the name of the subdomain
then you'd do "mydomain.com/subdomain.aspx?sd=*subdomain-name*"

i'll have alook later and see if my idea would work

Scotty_32 said:
am not 100% sure

but there may be away of making all unused subdomains an alias of the main domain

then you could use a simple ASP script to find out the name of the subdomain
then you'd do "mydomain.com/subdomain.aspx?sd=*subdomain-name*"

i'll have alook later and see if my idea would work

That's what I was hoping for. Some hosting companies make all subdomains forward to the root directory and it is up to your code to decide where it will be redirected.

Maybe one of the JodoHost guys can tell us if this is possible or not.

You will need a dedicated ip address to have all sub domains point to your root site. you can then place code to redirect according . you will also need to make sure you have a dns a record whivh is *.domainname.com and points to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
JMK

JMKotman said:
You will need a dedicated ip address to have all sub domains point to your root site. you can then place code to redirect according . you will also need to make sure you have a dns a record whivh is *.domainname.com and points to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
JMK

Can I set this up with JodoHost's Reseller account/HSpehere CP?

Thanks.

Can I use the same method to redirect all subdomains of type webmail.myclientsite.com to webmail.myservicedomain.com? And if I can, would this use of an dedicated IP be appropriate? I know that every IP use needs to be justified with ARIN.

Later Edit
I want to use another webmail application then the default set, as I already got a licence, but I don't want to install it on all webmail.myclientsite.com subdomains, while allowing them to use the subdomain as they are use to.

Stephen said:
You can set that up in the CP manually.

Should this be done through your reseller account (the CP with EManager > DNS Manager)?

If it's not too much to ask, can you provide some guidance on this?

I'm just very cautious about messing with DNS records.

Thanks.

Back