Redundant Servers

orbital

Guppy
Hi,

I saw in one of the outage emails regarding Win5 that Jodohost was considering having a backup/mirror server for each one of their shared servers. I'd like to support this and say short of having a redundant server farm this would be the best solution and give a much more reliable service. Is this still being considered and would Jodohost be using industry standard models that balance the load between the servers?

I'd also like to add that in the long run this would actually help Jodohost, giving greater uptimes and not having to justify any downtime to the clients when a single server has to be worked on. A lot of the recent types of failures happen often in commercial hosting environments, it's just that we don't often hear about them due to redundant server configurations.

Regards,
Aaron
Orbital Group

Hi Aaron

To reduce costs, we are actually thinking of a single secondary server for all primary servers. The chance of more than one server failing at a time is remote therefore that secondary server shouldn't have to handle the load of more than one server during a failure

I'd like to remind you that very very few hosts use this sort of system, but we are definately going to give it a try in a hope to achieve 100% uptime.

We were previously considering a load balancing approach for our web servers but we have decided against that. We'd like all traffic to primarily be routed to the primary server where the secondary server will only take over during a failure. The reason we want to stick to this approach is that it would not be possible to ensure the secondary server is a replica of the primary server at all times (the data may be a few hours older)

just don't announce that you have 100% uptime, even if you have it for a couple of months..

personally I trust a company witch claims to have 99.5% more than one with 99.9% or 100%, because with 99.5 they are being honest that there may be some downtime, but when they have 99.99 or 100 they may fake it and don't tell the whole truth to the customers. I am hopefully not alone with that thought..

also if you have 99.5% you don't have to pay back to the customers if you have 30 minutes a couple of times

DirtBag said:
personally I trust a company witch claims to have 99.5% more than one with 99.9% or 100%, because with 99.5 they are being honest that there may be some downtime, but when they have 99.99 or 100 they may fake it and don't tell the whole truth to the customers. I am hopefully not alone with that thought..

I totally agree with this...we should never expect 100%...it is very unlikely to happen even in a properly run system.

I would focus more on how to recover from problems. That is something I have been happy with more than any other host. Jodohost has been able (for the most part) to recover more quickly from problems than I have had elsewhere.

Fewer problems of course would be appreciated :)

yorri said:
I totally agree with this...we should never expect 100%...it is very unlikely to happen even in a properly run system.

I would focus more on how to recover from problems. That is something I have been happy with more than any other host. Jodohost has been able (for the most part) to recover more quickly from problems than I have had elsewhere.

Fewer problems of course would be appreciated :)
Yorri, I think they have assigned a personal staff member for you, that's busy with just answering your requests and problems ;)

Of course, this is not really a matter of what we state on our website, it is our company goal to achieve those levels.

We are focusing on both disaster recovery and increasing reliability after the Win5 hardware crash

SePP said:
Yorri, I think they have assigned a personal staff member for you, that's busy with just answering your requests and problems ;)

What the hell is that supposed to mean?? I just ask for things that are advertised and what we are all paying for. If it is too difficult for things to work, then don't offer or advertise the service.

Maybe you are happy when things are not working correctly but I am not.

Okie...getting back to the topic :) What would you guys favour as far as hosting configuration goes?

Aaron,
OrbitalGroup

A single backup server for Windows and one for Linux would be fine with me, but some sites might have serious synchronization problems if they use data files or access databases and the like. These types of sites would need to be excluded from this kind of setup or it will only create problems, not solve them.

I understand SubSpace...

I have been actually talking to a few programmers and they said it would be possible to setup a real-time replication system on the secondary system

This has got us really excited.. We are going to be moving ahead with this plan. We're hoping to be the first hosting company in the industry to setup a system like this for $6.95/month customers :)

let's just hope we wont get any problems with it
smile.gif
I'm sure we wont..

You are a great hosting Company Jodohost!

DirtBag said:
let's just hope we wont get any problems with it :) I'm sure we wont..
You are a great hosting Company Jodohost!

Come on Yash, stop ha><><0ring customer accounts to post here :D

Wow, great news. It'll be great to be able to host production projects with as few anxieties as possible about reliability etc.

Here's a few things that really bug me about other Windows hosting that made me choose jodohost.
  • Database Support (MS SQL, MySQL/PGsql) *
  • Reasonable Price *
  • Bandwidth *
  • Multiple Domains *
  • Dedicated IP Available
  • Good Servers (Xeon struck a cord with me, esp. with the el-cheapo '2.4' Celerons going around)
  • Additional 'Add-Ons' Reasonably Priced
  • Support
In these areas Jodohost leads the industry and is actually showing some understanding about what people want, the support especially is excellent. Should this new system be implemented and prove to be reliable I wouldn't hesitate to host all my clients primarily with Jodohost.

btw: support.jodohost.com isn't pointing to the forums for me, is it just my DNS servers or is this still being fixed?

orbitalgroup

Last 2 weeks their have been a lot of customers complaining with
their problems. I'm on linux server so, I hardly have been affected, as
most of the customers.

So I think the Jodohost staff handled it well. Good support, transparant. I never
had so cheap a great host. The only thing I can say is, I'm very happy with my host :)

So keep up the good work dudes :D

I'm hoping against hope that the recent issues are now at a complete and final end so that I too can start raving about the service. :D

The constant flow of recent criticisms (myself included) has started to get annoying, and very boring... Maybe I can now get back to my real work as a web designer, rather than a full time forum observer/participater!!

Back