Relocate speed & FrontPage extensions

net55

Guppy
I’m currently a Vortech customer who is dismayed at their tech support. I have a site that goes down every night when they reboot their server. I have to ask them fix it almost every night. Sometimes they fix it right away, sometimes it takes hours. As far as I can tell my site is the only one that does not come back up. I’ve been patient about telling them about the problem but they simple refuse to fix it. So, needless to say I have to move my sites to fix the problem. Problem is all my sites use a custom name server and I want to make the transition as fast as possible. How can I do that?

My second question is how soon do you plan on removing FrontPage server extension? I have a few clients that use them. They’ve all been told repeatedly that MS is killing support for them and that they need upgrade their site. So the longer they are working, the better it is for them.

net55,

While I personally despise FrontPage, it doesn't cause major problems unless people try to use the web based manager for it, and even those problems are addressed for I'd say 90% of cases since running Hspehre 3.0 now.
it is mostly due to permissions where it will change the network service permissions from the front page web GUI.

Rebooting servers nightly? do they not have customers around the world? nightly here is bright and sunny afternoon somewhere!

Custom nameserver.......you mean a singluar one, or each site having its own? I can't answer that question fully until I understand it better.

I have mixed feelings...I make a lot hosting them and they are great for small companies with a small "do it yourself budget". But if I was a network guy I would probably hate them too.

My question on FP is when do plan on phasing them out?

singluar one.

Every night, I'm on many servers and they all get rebooted, I don't mind that as all my sites are for the US market.

I don't plan on phasing it out, there is no need to phase it out. (on windows, on linux it is not supported anymore)

MS is discontinuing support for FrontPage Server Extensions. At some point they will do an upgrade that will break the extensions and their will be no patch.

FPSe on windows is tied to Windows 2003 itself.

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86) 5/28/2003 Review Note Review Note Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends.

The EOL is not in sight for at least the next 5 years.
We may not be able to support FPSE once windows 2008 is out, but we will for the next 4 years be having windows 2003 servers in our network.

We have NO windows 2000 servers in the network now however.

I have a couple of scripts that require these components, are these installed on reseller hosting? If not, will they be installed if requested and is there a charge.

* PHP GD2 Library (for image resizing
* ionCube Loaders (latest version
* mod_Rewrite (search engine friendly URLs
* cURL (Authorize.net gateway

Thanks

Assuming you posted this for the windows servers, I can tell you that the php cURL does not work with Authorize.net on the windows side. I had a customer using osCommerce, and tried to get Authorize.net to work and it just would not. Unfortunately, I couldn't move them over to the linux side because they have the rest of the site coded in ASP.

Sorry if Im off topic but Leaving VT will be the best thing you ever do,I also have sites with them but based on their poor performance and refusal to fix anything including the ongoing mailserver problems, I moved most of my customers here to JODO and I couldnt be happier.

cdog, thanks I have similar feelings.

Back to my original question:

I have a couple of scripts that require these components, are these installed on reseller hosting? If not, will they be installed if requested and is there a charge. These are php site running on Linux.

* PHP GD2 Library (for image resizing
* ionCube Loaders (latest version
* mod_Rewrite (search engine friendly URLs
* cURL (Authorize.net gateway

You should see the s-storm at VT about removal of FPSE. Nevertheless, I recommend anyone using FP to limit, if not disallow, use of webbots and shared borders. Just to be safe. Otherwise, FP is a great way of letting customers maintain a site, and I'm glad Jodo is keeping it around for the foreseeable future.

Back