Request for a little help with email service please.

datagrid

Guppy
Sorry to put a notice here on a forum, but I need some faster answers and some more effective help on my ticket (AMN-49179-888). I have contacted live chat twice over two days and truthfully was disappointed with vague answers to questions and wandering help. I don't know how many people the live chat person must help at one time, but it appears he/she could not keep up with mine and lost their understanding of my issue along the way several times. Enough of that, I am not writing just to complain, although someone should know... Here is the problem I need help with:

My Email service is down. I am not receiving email and I can't tell if people sending to me are getting any notice or bounce-back. I cannot send mail out either with my mail client or with Squirrel mail. Here is what happened that started the trouble. It is all probably my fault - but I don't know what I should have done differently or how to fix it now. I really need your prompt help getting email working again.

I have 4 domains in my shared windows account. One domain is hosting a DotNetNuke application. I needed to close one of my regular domains (datamark.cc) off the jodohost account and re-create it inside the DotNetNuke app. So I first recorded all my email accounts details (with a pencil and paper) then removed the mail service from the domain then deleted the domain from my jodohost account. All this was done using the H-Sphere control panel. Then I created a domain alias in H-Sphere for the DotNetNuke domain and then added mail service to the alias domain name and then re-created all the email accounts just as they were, passwords and all. The domain resolved perfectly in the web browser, but email did not work. Outlook kept prompting me for a password but would not like what I gave it and would ask again. I was told in the jodohost ticket system to change the mail servers to mail7.jodoshared.com, so I did. Please note the h-sphere comtrol panel said to use mail.datamark.cc (it still says that) and this mixed message is confusing. It does not appear to make a difference which of those two choices to use because mail is not coming or going with either one. I also tested by logging into Squirrel Mail and nothing is coming or going from there either. So I think the problem is not related to which email server I use in my copy of Outlook. It is elsewhere.

Also, when I removed the domain and created the alias, the parent domain that will use the alias is on a differnet name server, so today, I went and changed my domain registrar for datamark.cc to the new name server. But still, my email is not working. And worse, the domain does not resolve in the web browser now. So the site is dead and the email is also dead. I use the email through that domain a lot. It drives my consulting business. Please help me get the website and email working again. What should I do and is there something you have to do?

uh yuck.

hen it comes to DNS there is not a lot we can do to speed it up. However it seems they are pointing at this moment to ns1 and ns2, which is not responding with any information for the domain, so that is not good, it means ns1 and ns2 have no record of it there, they are not the currently active nameservers so I do believe it should be on ns3 and ns4 if new domains are being added or aliased.

now for the mail part, if you do a mail domain alias, it will actually make all mail to the domain you are adding be like a mirror to the other domain, you don't want to enable this option.

I just looked it up and in fact you do need to use ns3 and ns4 for this domain alias.

Just FYI client domains should always be mail.domain.com, but they asked you to use mail7.jodo_____.com to diagnose the issue for you, bypassing DNS to reach the mail. Still then incoming would not be working due to DNS changes taking time to be seen by the internet DNS servers that are caching old ones.

Thank you Stephen, based on your answer, I will give the change in the registered name servers time to take hold for the web site to start working again. Does it still take 24-48 hours? I thought there was an initiative to get that figure down under 30 minutes. Am I making that up?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you said about my email. You said, "you don't want to enable this option." Did you mean that I should not enable mail on a domain alias? If so, how do I provide mail service to my DotNetNuke portals?

Thank you for explaining about the mail7 and mail.domain.com. I get it. Thanks again.

no dont enable "mail domain alias" which is like a domain alias, it mirrors the mail as well, DON'T check that, and you have not, as the domain drop down shows in the mail services menu.

The 30 minute figure is for new domains, and it indeed works, however domains that are not TLD can take longer still. :(

Back