Reseller Hosting and Server Alias

aliweb

Perch
While I was going through your reseller documentation I found out about Server Alias which allows you to user your own name as parent host. It says in order to use server alias it must be registered with your domain name registrar.
How do I get a server alias? When I will purchase a domain from a domain registrar will I automatically get a server alias? Or do I need to pay them extra for it? Didn't understand what it is.

You need to register a domain say, myjodohosting.com. This domain will be used for:

1. Service Account: To host your promotional website ie myjodohosting.com.

2. Name Servers: CP assigns IPs for name servers ie ns.myjodohost.com and ns2.myjodohosting.com. You will create these child name servers with your Domain Registrar. You will then change the DNS of myjodohosting.com to ns.myjodohost.com, ns2.myjodohosting.com at Domain Registrar.

3. Server Alisases: These are created by CP for all servers that JodoHost has. It will be of the form, web.myjodohosting.com, win2.myjodohosting.com etc.

You just pay for domain registration to Domain Registrar.

aliweb said:
While I was going through your reseller documentation I found out about Server Alias which allows you to user your own name as parent host. It says in order to use server alias it must be registered with your domain name registrar.
How do I get a server alias? When I will purchase a domain from a domain registrar will I automatically get a server alias? Or do I need to pay them extra for it? Didn't understand what it is.

Could you have one domain - myjodohost.com be used as the service domain and the nameserver domain and then have a second domain - yourjodohost.com be used as the promotional website?

Yes, some resellers prefer to use two domains one for DNS etc. and other for hosting their promotional website.

Not really, but it can simplify migration.
jodoshared.com is our DNS zone while jodohost.com is the actual site we host. Our shared accounts are setup in a reseller account as well.

Back