Reverse DNS and Email Blacklists

dman

Perch
One of my client's sites is on an email blacklist because it does not have a reverse DNS on the dedicated IP address provided by Jodo. As a reseller, this client is on a shared server with a dedicated IP. I asked chat support if there was any way to set up a reverse DNS on a dedicated IP and they said it's only an option on a VPS. I don't understand why Jodo can't set up a reverse DNS on a dedicated IP that Jodo provides. This is a serious issue for email deliverability. Can someone explain this to me? Is there any way to do it without moving an entire site to a new server? Thanks!

1. Dedicated IP is not used for sending email, especially on windows servers. The servers use the base IP of the server for sending.
2. We do not want clients mailing using localhost on the local web server, it needs to go via the mail servers via SMTP Auth, where rDNS is provided.

The VPS answer is mostly because, if you want everything to go through that IP, it is the only way it is happening.

Thanks for the reply Stephen! The weird thing is that the blacklist details show "no reverse DNS, MX host should have rDNS - RFC1912 2.1" but it's saying this is an issue on the dedicated web site IP. The MX records point to an external email server. This setup has been working for years. The email server admin is saying the web site IP needs rDNS.

Why is the blacklist showing the web site IP needs rDNS but references MX records?

Any help is appreciated!

Hey Stephen,

Sorry for the delay, been under the weather...

No ticket on this yet. I spoke with Dinnesh on live chat so far which is where he suggested a VPS was required. To reiterate, the blacklist does not show the MX record IP but the website IP as requiring rDNS. Do you want me to PM you more details or open a ticket? Thanks!

Back