Reverse DNS?

dman

Perch
Hope someone can help me with this ASAP. I've got a long time client who has moved their email to an in-house Exchange server from a hosted Exchange account at Rackspace. The domain for this site is hosted at JodoHost and the DNS records have been updated. They are now requesting a reverse DNS lookup on my end at JodoHost. Two questions....
  1. Not being a DNS expert, I would think the reverse DNS should be handled on the local DNS server that resolves the Exchange IP. Where should a reverse DNS be implemented?
  2. If it needs to be set up at JodoHost, is this possible? I believe the domain has a static IP.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

rDNS must be done by the owner of the IP address space, if that is at rackspace, with them,, if that is a local ISP, with the ISP, we cannot do anything to control it, even if a record were made here it would not have any impact unless it was one of our own IP address spaces allocated by ARIN.

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the reply! OK, this is what I thought but the client's IT guy kept stating that the rDNS needed to be added at Jodo. Thanks for clarifying how a rDNS should be setup for this type of scenario.

Cheers!

Back