Running job on remote server

sonata

Perch
I have a client on another hosting service who needs a daily processing job run. His hosting service has set up some sort of trigger to call a web page at a specified time each day, but they tell me that I need to set up the page to "call something that will run at [the] server."

I assume I need to kick off some sort of asynchronous job, but how should I do this? I'm using ASP.NET for the entire site (including the billing module, which can be run manually from a web page), and have been experimenting with starting a console job; I get an error that "JIT debugging failed..."

Any ideas? I was thinking of setting up a web service, but have never done this before. What happens if the client signs off before the service completes processing, which is the host's concern? Does that even matter?

I'm delving into new areas for me here and any help would be appreciated.

Could you clarify it a bit more? I'm a bit confused. Are you deploying this app on jodo or are you deploying it onto their server?

You don't need webservcies (it's not going to solve the issue anyway), you just need a cron job that kicks start a process that hits the webpage on a regular schedule.

I think jodo supports cron job? I could be wrong though. mabye somebody can fill you in on this later. I would like to know how to start a cron job as well.

I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to get back to this, but here's the update.

1. The site is not hosted on JH
  2. There is no *nix, and therefore no cron job. Instead, this is being kicked off by a SQL server script.
  3. I tried several different things, and found that I can set up a web service to perform the actual processing. The service, once started, seems to complete the job regardless of whether the result is requested.
The only other possibility would have been to give the ASP.NET user permission to run local jobs, which is a potential security hole, so I didn't want to go there.

Anyway, the question has been resolved for now.

Back