Secondary Mail server

Does JH still offer a backup mail server? Several of my domains were listed with MAIL2 as the backup MX, but I was just informed that MAIL2 was taken offline.

Some of my other accounts use mail5 as the backup.

I tried to disable the mail relay on one account, but once I did that I can't seem to turn it back on - the option for that has disappeared.

What's up?

We had to disable the backup MX as it was being abused by spammers and Psoft gave no logical way to make it all go to one server as a backup, where we coudl make centralized blocks, it woudl isntead use ANY mail server as a backup that caused issues with over 600000+ spam a day that were trying to bypass the main mailserver and send direct to the backup MX record.

So how should I configure my customer accounts? Should I disable the mail relay feature for them entirely?

I'm a bit confused, because several of my accounts show other mail servers as secondary MX. For example, I have one that uses mail3 and primary and mail5 as backup. When I test those using SmtpDiag (a Microsoft test utility), both servers agree to accept mail for "postmaster" at that domain.

Or, is this just a fluke, and the mail relay is really gone, but it just looks like it's active in the CP?

Please Stephen , could you clear it to us? Then, isn't there backup mail server?

why didn't informed about this to resellers?

The "backup mail server" function was "spam central" function getting hammered with spam so much it can take down the servers. We still have backup mail servers but not in the MX records. In addition when we have dspam fully implmented it will act to hold mail if the server were down as well.

No all mail is not lost, mail servers have a requeue on fail, in fact many servers fail the first time these days with greylisting becoming very common.

Back