Sending Email

Typ0

Perch
This question pertains to the current email quota's and anti-spam policies.

We have a large mailing list for our company. Many of the names have been acquired through opt-in lists from a vendor. We have been mailing to this list for several years now. Occassionally we add some new names. The only complaints we have ever received were from AOL users as they have some kind of new spam software that is arbitrary. We no longer send to any AOL addresses. The mails conform to good email standards and include unsubscribe mechanisms and are sent from an address that is monitored.

Our list size is currently around 20,000 names. I'd like to convert these mailings over to jodohost servers. The mails are composed and sent through the web application using cdonts.

Do you forsee any problems with sending out 20,000 emails?

I don't expect there would be any problems...but if there was what would be the process jodo representatives would follow to rectify it? I do a lot of data tracking so if the site gets shut down I'll be losing data.

Also, will this effect my reseller account or just my clients account?

It would be nice if we could try and if something goes wrong we'll stop sending and find another solution. We're not that hard to get along with and try to keep apprised of all the stakeholders concerns and respond appropriately.

Typo - I've just posted 2 items in the Code Vault on how to send emails with authentification in asp.net versions 1 and 2 which may get around your AOL problem. Also, there is a classic ASP script there too posted quite recently which apparently does solve the AOL problem.

PS Sounds like one heck of a mailing list you have!

Typ0, check out with Jodo before doing this. You'll probably have to fill out a form about mass mailing and I don't know if Jodo allows for 20k mails sent at a time. It would be good to know the policy from Jodo about this though, as I'm planning to build a site that will probably have more than those numbers.

I have filled out the form and don't send them all at once. I have it set up to send 100 at a time and then I do it manually so I can make sure the server isn't getting bogged down with anything I'm doing. It would be nice to be able to know exactly what's going on on the server but I don't so I just play it safe.

Anyone have any insight into the problem with AOL's "421" failure to receive properly formed and identified email? I just moved a client to my jodohost mail server, and one of the staff there have an auto-forward to an AOL account that promptly has started bouncing everything it gets.

What's the fix -- I've got SPF set up for the server, but none of the other fancy spam-prevention mechanisms... is that what I need?

Back