Server Alias IPs outdated?

SubSpace

Bass
I've just begun setting up my account today, and I've signed myself up for a hosting package with myself ;)

I get an e-mail telling me to FTP to win4.mydomain.com to upload files. This is an alias for win4.m****here.biz according to the Server Aliases page in H-Sphere, which according to ns.m****here.biz is:

Name: win4.m****here.biz
Address: 66.36.228.155

However this is no good, I can't FTP there with the account info given.

When I go into the mydomain.com DNS manager, I see the server alias listed:

win4.mydomain.com 86400 IN A 66.235.180.33

Hmm, different IP, so let's try that one, eh? No good again, FTP info is not valid. So I decided to check in the DNS settings of the domain I'm actually trying to host, mycustomer.com (in this case me):

*.mycustomer.com 86400 IN A 66.235.181.49

Yet another IP address! Finally this one works, but that doesn't really fix the problem of course. How do I get the predefined Server Aliases to point to the right IP addresses? The e-mail instructs to connect to win4.mydomain.com, so that entry should point to 66.235.181.49 :)

I hope all this is clear enough :)

Edit: What's up with the m y h s p h e r e.biz censoring?

win4.m****here.biz is pointing to the wrong IP so you don't have to worry about that

win4.yourdomain.com should point to 66.235.180.33 which is correct. Use this domain while connecting to FTP. What FTP error are you getting?

66.235.181.49 is the shared IP for win4
66.235.180.33 is the service IP for win4

Using either doesn't make a difference. They both point to the same destination.

Yash said:
66.235.181.49 is the shared IP for win4
66.235.180.33 is the service IP for win4
Using either doesn't make a difference. They both point to the same destination.

Connecting to 66.235.180.33 doesn't work, at all. Any attempt to connect to it on port 21 or port 80 fails, as if the machine isn't there at all. The connection isn't actively refused either (stealth port?)

No, I can't ping it, but I can't ping 66.235.181.49 either even though I can connect to it just fine.

I have some basic firewall rules, but nothing blocking specific IPs or ranges and I can ping other servers just fine, and connect to them.

Only the second does.
I've just done a traceroute and it seems there is a routing problem at my ISP for some reason.. I'll try and find out what's up with that :(

I've tried contacting my ISP about the messed up routing, but without results so far :(

I've created a VPS test account to play around with, and it got assigned a 66.235.178.* address, which I can't seem to reach either.. What is so special about these IPs that routing messes up while other IPs in the same range give me no problems?

What should I tell my ISP? It's not like I've been able to find the person in charge of network management yet, but if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this, it might help.

Yash said:
Where are you located? Who is your ISP?
Are you sure it has nothing to do with your firewall?

The Netherlands, Casema/Wanadoo. I've tried contacting them about the problem but I ended up sending a formal complaint letter to their office because people kept sending me back and forth between people without actually helping.

It seems to be working now, both 66.235.180.33 and 66.235.178.*, which is probably a coincidence or they actually open and read their mail right away..

I can't seem to actually SSH to the VPS server yet, but that is due to some other problem. What that problem is I'm not sure of yet, but at least I can FTP to the windows webserver normally.

Back