Server Side Includes in Custom error pages???

yorri

Perch
I have a custom 404 error page and I am including a header and a footer but it doesn't seems to be included like on other pages? Is this normal for error pages?

I can manually add the header and footer, that isn't a problem, just want to make sure it's normal behaviour.

yo, i could have answered this, but you havnt asked for my opinion, so then you'll have to wait for someone else..

Yeah, I guess he'll have to wait for Yash to wake up and answer him, since he doesn't bother to look for other threads answering his question either ;)

Point made, I think. From now on I'll do so by keeping quiet.

SubSpace said:
since he doesn't bother to look for other threads answering his question either ;)

Doesn't bother to look...so now you are psychic??

Actually I did do a search because I thought I read something previously on the forum regarding this. I didn't find anything but since you hinted that there might be something...off I go to look again.

There's a fairly large thread about the subject that's still active, so that's why I said you probably didn't bother to look. It's kinda hard to miss ;)

SubSpace said:
There's a fairly large thread about the subject that's still active, so that's why I said you probably didn't bother to look. It's kinda hard to miss ;)

I've read about a dozen posts about custom error pages and asp issues. This isn't my question. Not one of those posts deal with server side includes and custom error pages. If there is one I cannot find it.

LegalAlien said:
put the poor guy out of his misery :D

Don't worry I am not in misery. I made it a static page at the beginning...I just wanted to know whether this was a technical issue that is normal behaviour or if this was a specific issue with Hsphere because I have never put a SSI in a custom error page so for all I know, it can't be done.

I'm sorry, don't understand this one. Are you trying to use an ASP page as a custom error?

If so, SubSpace gave us an excellent solution but we'll need to do it manually on the server. Open a ticket

No, I believe he's trying to do a server side include on a custom error page, which doesn't work either.
Like I said, the problem isn't ASP specific.

ASP, ASP.net, PHP, SSI, they are all handled by ASAPI application DLLs. If you open the properties for a website in IIS, click the Home Directory tab and then the Configuration button, you'll see them listed. asp.dll for asp pages, ssinc.dll for .shtml, etc. Basically it's a list of file extensions and the proper DLL to process them.
For custom error pages, this list and thus all defined ASAPI based processing is skipped when you refer to the error page as a file. When you designate them by URL, they are processed, and this ASP, PHP, ASP.net and SSI should all work.

Yes, I understand that they are skipped. I've been going through alot of Knowledge Base articles to try to find out how to somehow force custom errors to use them. I do remember I found an article about 6 months back but I can't find it now..

Hmm, the IIS help file suggests the only way to do this is to use the URL option:

"If you are using static custom error files (HTML files), you should always use the File option. If you plan to develop an application (by using ISAPI or ASP) to handle errors, then use the URL option. Note that the error status is handed to the application in the URL parameters and it is the application's responsibility to set the HTTP header status; otherwise, the HTTP response status will be "HTTP 1.1 200 OK.""

I couldn't find any other way to enable processing either, so it seems to me you need to send PSoft another feature request ;)

I read the IIS help file SubSpace a long time ago :) But I remember reading a Microsoft KB article about how you can make it work with file names..

I must have seen something else.. Anyway, I'll post this on PSOFT's forum

Yorri, if you'd like your custom error page updated to a URL, open a ticket

Back