Site Deactivated - Aftermath and Results...

Hawkeye

Perch
Well, it has now been one month since my website was deactivated, along with several others for high resource utilization. As of yesterday, the site is finally back online. What took so long? Well, the fix in my case was to switch from an MS Access to MSSQL database structure. With the site being pulled so suddenly, and not having ANY knowledge of SQL myself, the learning curve and preparation time was fairly high. It was, by far, our most significant outage in the 3 years we have been online.

However, it is finally finished and we are back. As you can see, I stuck with Jodohost, even though I was quite frustrated by the outage. I did so because I believe these new servers will be quite good and the support, overall, has also been good.

Through the process of upgrading I had several problems (like upsizing directly to my new database, due to my poor connection), which we found workarounds for and the support staff here was very helpful. Due to their help and quite a bit of persistance on my part, things are working well again. So, this is why I have stayed. Thanks to the support staff for all their help with these things! Credit where credit is due...

Now, what would I like to see in the future? Like many site owners, I am doing a lot to promote my site and do expect that it will continue to grow (we were using about 12 gigs of monthly transfer before the closing and I think we will be back there again soon). I am currently on the Titanium plan, so I have prepared for this growth by my plan selection.

So, back to the future (as it were...)...here's what I think would be helpful for customers with busy sites:

1.) If a given site does start to become too intensive for the shared environment, it is not something that happens overnight. There will be a slow increase over time. Communication is important. Contact that customer and make arrangements to handle the load, WHILE their site is still online - do not pull the site suddenly. Note that this does NOT apply to sites with poorly written code which suddenly start slamming the server...those should be pulled. I'm talking about slow, increasing growth here. Again, I know this wasn't the case with my site - it was a sudden issue, but this has to be stated. Which brings me to the next thing...

2.) I'd like to see Jodohost offer expanded plans (which I understand would be more expensive) for these types of high-traffic customers...something above the Titanium plan. Again, many of our sites are growing and we hope they will continue to do so - I'd like to grow with Jodohost and not suffer a sudden outage, or be required to leave and find a new host. So, are there any plans to offer more advanced hosting options in the future?

I'm not there yet, but I certainly hope to be at some point! ;)

Thanks.

By the way, thanks personally to Yash as well, who got me moved over to the new servers and promptly helped with a few items along the way...

1. Till date we have not asked any customer to go due to high usage. Issue was stability of other sites sharing the same resources.
2. We are starting Reseller Plans(any day now). We will also offer VPS within 15 days. We are already offering managed servers although not annouced anywhere at our site. This allows our customers to switch between services at reasonable prices

atulkumar said:
We will also offer VPS within 15 days. We are already offering managed servers although not annouced anywhere at our site. This allows our customers to switch between services at reasonable prices

Great, that sounds encouraging - thanks!

Back