Slightly Disappointed

Yesterday after reading a post in the Forums about ASP.NET 2.0, I was informed that you had to open a ticket to have 2.0 enabled on your domains. I did so. The response came and it said that I had to pay to move my domains to a server that supported 2.0. After checking the service levels on the main site, I verified that indeed 2.0 was included with my hosting plan, and again requested 2.0 be enabled on my sites for free. I was then pointed to a post in the forums that was dated in NOVEMBER of 2005 stating that anyone that was on a server that did not support 2.0 would be charged a 10 dollar fee to be moved to a server that supported 2.0. However, if you created a NEW account, you would be given the services for free, only if you wanted to transfer old domains over would you be charged.

I'm quite sure that I upgraded my plan from Silver to Gold after this time frame. But even if I didn't, I can't believe that nearly 2 years later, 2.0 is not supported on all servers. It's now a proven technology. I've been a Jodo customer for over 4 years. They've always provided quick, top notch service. This seems petty and out of character for them. I'm disappointed and for the first time in 4 years, I'm searching for a new hosting provider. I think it's odd that new customers get better services than existing customers that pay their bill every month, on time. Comcast anyone?

It doesn't really matter that the technology is proven, but the fact that it causes some major problems in installing on older servers is the reason it is not installed on all of them. The $10 is a one time move fee to put you on a newer server supporting ASP.NET 2.0. The older server do not have it, and if we were to upgrade them we would have many sites down for a long time due to permissions and other errors associated with it. When we make the jump to Hsphere 3.0 we may combine it with installing ASP.NET 2.0 on all, as there will already be some extended downtime and permissions issues in that upgrade, so it can all be done at once, but until then it is only on win2, and Win13+

Stephen,
I appreciate your response, and I appreciate you and Yash taking such an active role on the forums. Without your guidance and help, I would have opened a million and one tickets by now.

But on this issue, I have to take exception. I understand the $10.00 fee is a one time fee. However my point is that loyal users are being penalized for signing up before 2.0 was released. If I were a brand new customer today signing up, I would not be charged for 2.0. It would simply be available on the server that I was placed.

Now that I've upgraded my skills from classic ASP to ASP.NET 2.0, I have to pay a fee to move to a different more robust server simply because I've been here for 4 years. It seems to me that it should simply be a service. Not everyone that has been a customer since before 2.0 will want to be upgraded. Only those that need (or think they need) that functionality will need to be moved.

And no, the $10.00 would not kill me. It's just that I feel I'm being penalized for being a loyal customer.

just as a note, we are proactively updating many servers. We have recently migrated Win8, Win5, Win7 will likely be upgraded in the coming months as well. Win9/10/11/12 are all going really well and will likely go through the Hsphere update and get ASP.NET 2.0 at that time as well. We monitor the server lifecycle as well, so some of the servers have been online for over 4 years now, by the statistics that means problems are more likely to happen be it power supplies fialing or drives failing more regular, so we like to take the proactive approach and upgrade them, this in turn gives the clients a boost in features, speed, etc. We do aim to please the client, and we will work out the issue with you. The move takes some admin time to insure that the move is done right, and that the services stay up with as little downtime as is possible during the migration of servers.

(We also recently migrates or moved mssql1/2/3/4 and some unix servers, so my win5/8 example was by no means a complete list)

jhurlbut, I sent you a PM. Please do get back to me.

As Stephen said, we are doing alot to maintain the quality of service for our old customers. But in certain cases (for older servers), the server software is too old for us to put ASP.NET 2.0 without causing issues. Hence, we need to migrate a customer with newer needs to a newer server. This costs us money, hence we charge for it. However, for a customer that has been with us for so long, I'll make sure an exception is made

Back