SMTP Authentication

BluJag

Perch
I'm not all that well up on email stuff, but I have a question.

In Outlook / Incredimail / Outlook Express I don't have the Requires Authorisation box ticked and can still send mail.

On my web pages I use mail.mydomain.com when using Persits ASPEmail and mail goes off (99.9999% of the time) without any hiccups. I don't set any authorisation property.

So where does SMTP authorisation come in to all of this? What's to stop spammers using one of my or any Jodo hosted domains ?

At a previous host I had to have the Requires Authorisation box ticked for Outlook etc. From within a web page, authorisation wasn't needed but the host checked that the domain was hosted with them otherwise it wouldn't send. These two measures ensured it was not possible to relay mail through their mail servers.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, but as I said I'm not an expert on email stuff.

Thanks!

BluJag said:
In Outlook / Incredimail / Outlook Express I don't have the Requires Authorisation box ticked and can still send mail.
This is because we have pop-before-smtp enabled. Here if you have downloaded your mails via POP, you will be allowed to send mails via SMTP for a limited period of time.

On my web pages I use mail.mydomain.com when using Persits ASPEmail and mail goes off (99.9999% of the time) without any hiccups. I don't set any authorisation property.
If you want to make it 100% you should use SMTP authentication. If interested in knowing why, please open a ticket and i will explain.

So where does SMTP authorisation come in to all of this? What's to stop spammers using one of my or any Jodo hosted domains ?
Try an IMAP account without SMTP-authentication. SMTP authentication is used to prevent mailserver from becoming an open relay and still allowing valid users to relay.

Back