SMTP connection problem

kastro

Guppy
I recently set up a new account. I created a mailbox which I have been testing out through Outlook Express. I've been able receive mail through POP3 with no problem. However, when I try to send OE fails to connect to the SMTP server with the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Jodo', Server: '66.36.230.189', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've set up the settings to point to mail.mydomain.com on port 25 and tried both with and without SMTP authentication, but I've been unable to solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Can you connect to other SMTP servers on port 25? The reason I ask is that many ISPs block port 25 now, especially on dialup. You are forced to use their SMTP server, which is just fine as long as the provide one. I know MSN doesn't even provide one and they block port 25. MSN doesn't want any of their dialup users using SMTp or POP3 at all.

kastro said:
I recently set up a new account. I created a mailbox which I have been testing out through Outlook Express. I've been able receive mail through POP3 with no problem. However, when I try to send OE fails to connect to the SMTP server with the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Jodo', Server: '66.36.230.189', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've set up the settings to point to mail.mydomain.com on port 25 and tried both with and without SMTP authentication, but I've been unable to solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

It does seem like I'm getting blocked on port 25 since I can't connect using "telnet mail.jodoshared.com 25". My ISP is RCN so I'll just use their server. Thanks.

brawney said:
Can you connect to other SMTP servers on port 25? The reason I ask is that many ISPs block port 25 now, especially on dialup. You are forced to use their SMTP server, which is just fine as long as the provide one. I know MSN doesn't even provide one and they block port 25. MSN doesn't want any of their dialup users using SMTp or POP3 at all.

LOL, are you serious? Are their users allowed to browse websites though? :)

SubSpace said:
LOL, are you serious? Are their users allowed to browse websites though? :)
Yes. I am serious. Sad isn't it? I did a 1 month trial of MSN dialup and found that their basic theory is that MSN is for home users, not business users, and home users have no need to use pop3 or smtp.... they can use web mail!

So they not only block port 25 they also do not provide you with an SMTP server either. I find it sad that MS will not support this basic internet standard.

Ah, so we can expect Outlook Express to disappear as a standard Microsoft Windows application, and it will soon only be available in Windows Server 2003 and up? ;)

It must be part of Bill Gates' promise to eliminate all e-mail spam within 2 years. Eliminate e-mail!

lol, well not really
MSN forces you to relay email through their SMTP server. Contact them for their SMTP server address.

Yash said:
lol, well not really
MSN forces you to relay email through their SMTP server. Contact them for their SMTP server address.
Yash, I dropped MSN because of this so I'm not using them. But they told me they do not provide an SMTP server for their users. So you can't do SMTP on when using their dialup connections.

Back