SMTP not working?

I can receive emails thru all my Jodohosted accounts, but cannot send from any of them. This has been a problem all day today, both from my office, where I use Thunderbird as my email client, and from home, where I use Outlook 2000.

No settings have been changed recently, and all worked fine yesterday. Am I the only one experiencing this? If so, I'll open a ticket.

what error are you getting?
I just sent out a test email to hotmail and it worked without a hitch

When I click "Send/Receive" it would stall and timeout on the outgoing messages that are using my Jodohosted SMTPs. I tried all the domains I have with you, and they all hang. After it times out, it asks me to check my server settings for the account, and they are the same as they have been for months. Luckily I have POP3 accounts that are not on Jodo's mail server, so I was able to send the necessary emails through those SMTPs.

Oh, by the way, most of the emails I was trying to send were going to my business partner and our office manager, at their Jodohosted accounts (same domain).

Try changing your outgoing/incoming mail server to 63.209.158.6

Can you ping it?
What happens when you telnet 63.209.158.6 25?

Normally, this sort of issue is reported to us almost immediately through the ticket system. Not received a single ticket about email trouble

The mail servers ping fine. As I said, I'm receiving mail fine. I just can't reply or send using these accounts. I did change outgoing to ip instead of mail.xxxxx..com on one account as a test, to no avail. I'm not familiar with telnet - I know what it is but not how to do it!

I'll let it all rest overnight (it's 2:45 am here!) and see if things work later today. I've seen weirder happen, I just wanted to know if it was just my accounts or a system-wide thing, so I would know where to look if it continued.

make sure you tick the "log on to incoming mail server before sending mail" checkbox

you can use mail.jodoshared.com as the server...works for me or the ip like Yash says.

You may also want to check with your ISP, there are a few that are starting to implement blocking ports that people use to send/receive mail and host their own websites and FTP.

Sorry I didn't update sooner. All worked fine this morning, no problems through out the day. Must have been the full moon!

Gary

I had a similar problem early this morning, and it's happening to me again tonight. I can receive email fine, but I have to try 2-3 times when sending email; I get SMTP server timeouts.

I'll check this out

We did make some changes to QMAIL to thwart people from spamming. It seems that may be causing occasional problems using SMTP

Good Oyster said:
Ahhhh, the plot thickens!

SMTP is working pretty much fine for our customers. I remember when we had a problem with SMTP earlier this year, the ticket system was flooded with tickets.

Uptil now, we have got only one complaint regarded SMTP.
As I said, we are looking into this

What the QMAIL server currently does is check each connecting IP against a list of blacklisted IPs to prevent a know spammer from connecting to our mail server. That process seems to be causing the timeout on some occasions. If necessary, we will disable this.

I'd like to remind you that whatever we have done on the mail server is to protect you and all our customers.

I'd like to remind you that whatever we have done on the mail server is to protect you and all our customers.
And we all appreciate it, I'm sure! So far so good yesterday and today sending mail - no hang-ups or timeouts.

Back