SMTP Problems with IMAP

brawney

Perch
Yash, I think I found a problem with the mail servers when using IMAP.

As I understand it, your mail server requires me to do a POP3 retrieval of my mailbox before it will allow me to use SMTP. It apparently registers my IP address from the POP3 operation and allows that IP to send email using SMTP for some period of time (hours, days, or something?). You are using this method of authentication instead of regular SMTP authentication.

However, when I am using IMAP my IP address is not getting registered with your mail server, therefore your SMTP server does not allow me to send mail. I have tested this and found it to be the case.

My test process: I was not able to send SMTP mail this afternoon. So I setup a POP3 account in Outlook Express and did one POP3 mail retrieval. After that I was able to send via SMTP through the IMAP account setup in OE.

Can you look into this? Either configure the mail server to accept and log my IP address from an IMAP retrieval connection to enable SMTP or turn on SMTP authentication. Thanks.

Yash said:
We have now enabled SMTP authentication
That sounds good Yash. Does the other way still work with POP3? So with POP3 we have the option of either way and with IMAP we use SMTP authentication?

Thanks for looking into this for us IMAP users. :)

Yash said:
We have now enabled SMTP authentication
Yash, this is not working as of today. Its like the authentication was turned off. I can't send mail if I am using IMAP to retrieve mail.

I am having the same issue. I have opened a ticket and it has taken some time and then they send that it is ok and it isn't. Why did it go down all of a sudden.....It is almost like you took down smtp authenication.

shamrox said:
I am having the same issue. I have opened a ticket and it has taken some time and then they send that it is ok and it isn't. Why did it go down all of a sudden.....It is almost like you took down smtp authenication.
Still not working this AM. I just opened a ticket.

Hey Yash,

I have the problem too. Here is the error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'mail.biginthosting.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I am wondering if all your customers are using POP3. I am using SMTP. I was the one who had this problem before then you guys turn on authenication and it was fixed. I haven't been able to send email for the last 2+ days.

I just tested smtp from that account and it worked fine

Make sure you are using SMTP authentication. It hasn't been turned off. Tried through that and it worked without any problem

Yash said:
I just tested smtp from that account and it worked fine

Make sure you are using SMTP authentication. It hasn't been turned off. Tried through that and it worked without any problem
Yash, check again. It is still not working. I am using SMTP authentication. I have not made any changes to my email client. It is broken from both home and work.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@send_to_domain.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Email IMAP', Server: 'mail.mydomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
As soon as I do a POP3 read it starts working. Something on your side has changed back to the setting that was there at the start of this thread.

I did a pop3 too and it will work. I just want to know what you guys did a couple of days ago to make it break all of a sudden.

Here is what they told me yesterday afternoon:

We are looking into this mail issue in coordination with Psoft and tend to resolve it soon.We'll update you as soon as it is done.Thanks for your patience.

Still not working this morning. I don't know what this has to do with PSoft. But as to your question, I believe they moved the mail servers so I suspect this setting got messed up or simply turned off. Very frustrating not to be able to send mail for the last couple days! It's also sad that we have to go to such lengths in order to prove to JodoHost that there is a problem before they try to fix it. We're told over and over that there is no problem, then suddenly oh yeah we're working on it. I appreciate their honesty but this is a recurring pattern.

shamrox said:
I did a pop3 too and it will work. I just want to know what you guys did a couple of days ago to make it break all of a sudden.

I'm so sorry about this... We're working on it. SMTP Auth is enabled on qmail but for some reason it isn't responding to it

Well,

I have been talking to them to thru support tickets. I am getting kind upset everytime they send me a response with "It works on our side". As we know, mail works if you pop3 then try smtp because when you pop3 the server gets your ip and lets you smtp thru that ip. When you imap you never send the ip so when you try to send mail the server never ok's the ip.

I still don't have working IMAP. I would love them to tell me what is going on? They need to fill us in.

I actually tested both of your accounts myself with IMAP and SMTP Auth and they worked fine
Anyway, since both of you are experiencing this issue it has to exists and it will be solved.. give me another few hours..

Hey Yash,

I am not trying to be a hard a$$ I would like my stuff to work like it worked 5 days ago. I would bet that most of your users are using POP3. They wouldn't have that issue. I would like to hear about anyone else that is using IMAP and is working without having to do a pop3 first. Yash, we had this problem before and it got resolved.
I understand that when you guys try it....it works because you already probably pop3'ed from that ip address or that ip address is on your ok list. A better test is find a person doing IMAP and IMAP only on a different network or someone who's IP address is dynamic.
This is the error I just received:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: '[email protected]', Server: 'mail.biginthosting.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Back