SMTP Timeout?

Logan

Perch
Is anyone else having problems sending mail from Outlook to their JH account? I keep getting timeout errors when trying to connect to the JH SMTP server. I can successfully send mail to my other ISP's SMTP servers so I don't believe it's a PC issue.

Anyone?

EDIT: I can receive e-mail fine, just can't send.

tanmaya said:
What is the output of "telnet mail.yourdomain.tld 25"?
I get a timeout error. I checked the SMTP servers that do work, and one is my ISP's (this should always work and it does) and the other is gmail. However, gmail uses SSL so it's not the standard port. So it does appear as is my ISP has blocked port 25.

I'll check with them. Thanks.

Port 587 is the alternative SMTP port, it works as most ISPs don't block it. :D

I cant get email from the smtp server either (using MS Outlook). Port 25 doesn't work. Port 587 doesn't work. They claim to have fixed the problem, they closed my tickets but I still can't send my email via my JodHost account. My other accounts are working fine.

Mail server is working fine at the moment, however you can update your ticket if still you are having any problem in sending mails.

Most ISPs block ports, some block protocals, I would recommend talking to your ISP about the issue.

Stephen said:
Port 587 is the alternative SMTP port, it works as most ISPs don't block it. :D
Thanks Stephen. I might try that later. I was able to get everything working again by using my ISP's SMTP server. I'm not happy with this change imposed on me by my ISP, but it's not like I have a choice. :-(

Back