So what happened with Level3?

SubSpace

Bass
Yash said:
We are terribly disgusted with Level(3) at the moment. They have shown incredible lack of professionalism. I'll let everyone know exactly what happened that resulted in this fall out, once we have completed this major change.
I'm curious to know why Level3 decided to pull the plug so suddenly, with apparently only 1 week to allow JodoHost to make arrangements.
In fact I don't understand their reasoning behind the matter at all. Is it about the number of allocated IPs?
Even so I would have expected a 2 to 4 week period to allow for the migration, since domain nameserver changes can take 72 hours to propagate alone. That only leaves 4 days for you guys to get new IPs and all your customers to update all their domains. Not a very realistic timetable :(

I must say I'm very pleased with the effort JodoHost put into this though. I haven't had any complaints about downtime from users. Only migration of the VPS account that I have for personal use was completed slightly after Level3 pulled the plug.

We were getting abuse complaints for our IPs.. at least once a few days.. Yes they were being dealt with, etc. but they said the abuse from our IPs was excessive.

They had first given us a 24 hour notice which the extended to 5 days. When we asked them for more time, etc. we got a single line response from them saying "no mercy!!!"

We talked to their director of security and they said they had no choice.. their legal team wouldn't agree. Our laywers talked to them, they didnt budge. Our case was anyway weak.. their TOS lets them do whatever they want

We aren't the only host that has been affected by their ridiculous policy.. Vortech had gone through the exact same issue but they were given a little more time and for them it happened before us. I suspect that Level3 are getting more aggressive now

The bigger you are.. the more spam complaints or abuse cases you get. It just seems to me Level(3) doesnt like dealing with businesses doing shared services or having open servers.

Yash said:
The bigger you are.. the more spam complaints or abuse cases you get. It just seems to me Level(3) doesnt like dealing with businesses doing shared services or having open servers.
That reminds me of some QuakeNet IRC policy chance some time ago. They restricted some especially abusive ISPs to 2 connections per IP address.
I'm sure it was sheer coincidence that the list of ISPs consisted almost exclusively out of the largest European ones around :rolleyes:

Back