Special characters corrupted

bro

Perch
A site on Win28 has had all its HTML special characters corrupted.

For example, ” characters are now showing up as ¡± (even in the source code.)

I had this happen a few weeks ago on a Joomla database, and went through and corrected all the changes manually, but this is in a plain HTML page. I assume some change on the server is responsible, or some corruption has taken place during file copying.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I checked the site and there are a bunch of files time-stamped at 02/23/2011 around 22:30. All of them have had the characters altered. No-one edited these files, so was a maintenance script of some kind run on the server?

A site on Win28 has had all its HTML special characters corrupted.

For example, ” characters are now showing up as ¡± (even in the source code.)

I had this happen a few weeks ago on a Joomla database, and went through and corrected all the changes manually, but this is in a plain HTML page. I assume some change on the server is responsible, or some corruption has taken place during file copying.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I checked the site and there are a bunch of files time-stamped at 02/23/2011 around 22:30. All of them have had the characters altered. No-one edited these files, so was a maintenance script of some kind run on the server?

I am PMing you for more info. I have seen this a few times and know the likely cause is FTP.

Stephen,

can you pls share your findings/thoughts -- i've got a client on a CF server that has seen the same issue, although this is data in a MySQL table that has suddenly started throwing those high-ascii characters out of whack. I've checked collation and charset on the db, and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

Stephen,

can you pls share your findings/thoughts -- i've got a client on a CF server that has seen the same issue, although this is data in a MySQL table that has suddenly started throwing those high-ascii characters out of whack. I've checked collation and charset on the db, and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.
Actually we've found in each case of this that files were uploaded via ftp, we confirmed it was something like this there as well. From there they either directly add some hidden ad text in which results in this corruption.

Hi Stephen,

This has happened on every one of our sites on Win31 ... Ticket #CHQ-55454-947

We have had to re-FTP all of our sites to fix this an we didn't do anything to cause it in the first place as they were fine yesterday.

Hi Stephen,

This has happened on every one of our sites on Win31 ... Ticket #CHQ-55454-947

We have had to re-FTP all of our sites to fix this an we didn't do anything to cause it in the first place as they were fine yesterday.

tom, send me a PM with the domains/user it is quite common for it to happen to every domain for a user due to script.

Back