Speed comparision Win vs. Unix servers

Toontje

Perch
Hi all!

Has anybody ever done a speed comparision between the WIN and the Unix servers? I get the impression that the Windows servers are MUCH less responsive than the Unix servers.
Does MySQL run on localhost on the Unix servers and on dedicated MySQL servers when using Windows? If yes, this can make a big difference.

Can anybody shine a light on this?

Thanks,

Ton.

As part of a class on an enterprise transaction monitoring tool, we loaded identical web sites on UNIX and Windows and watched the transaction details using the tool. As I recall, the UNIX server was MUCH faster than Windows, even though the code was the same on both servers.

There's probably no way (configuration-wise) that Windows can match UNIX in speed. Just too much overhead.

the mySQL, MSSQL, oracle Databases are on dedicated database servers.

im not sure where PostGre is, iu think they are on the mySQL server. but cant be sure.

At JodoHost, you'll get the same response times on either servers. If your pages are being processed slow on any server, report it via a ticket.

Yash, can you explain please - how can you ensure that the response is at least in the same range. The servers with shared space would inevitably have a lot of different applications and thus pose different challenges to the network.
For those that say that UNIX response is higher - that also depends, I think if you look strictly at pure HTML pages with minimal configuration that might be true, as the overhead could be higher on Windows/IIS than on Linux/Apache server. But if you look at a complex php application as opposed to a compiled ASp.NET application which one is going to be faster?

It all depends on what is happening, for many things apache is faster, but not as powerful or diverse as IIS, it depends on many factors, also it is not so much windows as it is IIS/Apache, apache runs very fast on windows for instance.

Still would like to know how can you ensure that the servers respond within the same range (at least in some ballpark figure). This is obviously a common problem for people who host on shared servers... My experience is such that one bad apple on a server spoils it for many others, and as a reseller one would lose clients, as a end-user one would lose orders...
The load balancing is an ongoing issue for everyone, you might want to explain how you handle it...

I windows we seperate sites into application pools, sometimes it takes a bit of research to find those bad apples, but that is the nature of shared hosting.

Ok, in my particular case i'm running a PHP/MySQL portal on a Windows server. Maybe that was my mistake, but since the possibilities are there, i thought i could use them.
Couple of questions to understand the network better:
- Is PHP on a Windows box severely slower than on a Unix box?
- Do the Unix servers have their own MySQL database running on localhost whereas the Windows servers have to rely on a dedicated MySQL server? Thus having to do their MySQL queries over a network instead of having to run them on the same box?

I agree that i shoud run my PHP/MySQL applications on Unix servers. My fault. :O

Ton.

MySQL will be a dedicated servers on windows or unix, so that is not the issue, but php might be processing slightly slower on windows, as it runs as CGI.

Why not run PHP as an ISAPI extension then? It's supposed to be a lot faster than the CGI method, is there a valid reason why this route is not taken?

Well, the matter of fact is that i'm running my Joomla portal on WIN7 and i must say that it's EXTREMELY slow. I try to take all external links out to avoid delays from other websites, but i get the impression (and it's nothing more than just an impression) that it's either the Windows server or the MySQL server that is holding up the site. I do suspect MySQL is the problem, but i have nothing to justify that.

ton.

Back