SQL server import/export

Hi,

I have a whole stack of tables in a local SQL server that I want to upload to a SQL server on jodo.

My basic question is :- How to do this?

Do I export the data into csv files and then upload them via BCP? That fails btw.

How do I do an export on my local SQL server that I can just import to this database.

Any suggestion of good tools for this besides bog standard SQL server import/export tool?

Cheers,
Adam..

reptilecrazy said:
My basic question is :- How to do this?

Do I export the data into csv files and then upload them via BCP? That fails btw.
Oh wow - that doesn't sound like fun (moving csv files)!

If you have a local version of SQL server, then you should have Enterprise Manager, right? If you do, register your JodoHost SQL server, and then right click on your local database, select All Tasks -> Export Data and just follow the wizard. It's so painless that it's almost fun! :)

Hey, thanks forthe quick reply.

How do I register the remote database. I have been using Enterprise Manager b ut it wont connect to the jodo database directly ??

reptilecrazy said:
Hey, thanks forthe quick reply.

How do I register the remote database. I have been using Enterprise Manager b ut it wont connect to the jodo database directly ??
No problem - I'm bored at work so I've been lurking around here all day.

See this thread: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=863.

I don't know if the guy ever got it to work. Just make sure you select SQL Security when you're registering it (not NT Integrated or whatever they call it). Also, if you're behind a firewall (at work or whatever) they could be blocking the connection.

Good Luck!

ungrounded said:
If you have a local version of SQL server, then you should have Enterprise Manager, right? If you do, register your JodoHost SQL server, and then right click on your local database, select All Tasks -> Export Data and just follow the wizard. It's so painless that it's almost fun! :)

I've tried importing an existing MS SQL database like this, but it wouldn't copy any Identity flags on colums, or default column values, etc. So I ended up manualy setting all that information for about 35 tables, not my idea of fun ;)

I tried importing by copying MS SQL objects rather than just copying tables and views, but it wouldn't let me. All I got was a highly descriptive 'Importing failed: an error has occurred'.
The phrase "no sh*t Sherlock" sprang to mind ;)

SubSpace said:
I've tried importing an existing MS SQL database like this, but it wouldn't copy any Identity flags on colums, or default column values, etc. So I ended up manualy setting all that information for about 35 tables, not my idea of fun ;)
That's right! I had forgotten about that. Usually if I'm creating new tables it's only a couple at a time and making those changes isn't a big deal. But just for moving data, I think the import/export wizard does a great job. To retain all your table information, maybe the best thing would be to script the tables from your source database. Then after you ran the script the import/export wizard could be run to move the data.

SubSpace said:
I tried importing by copying MS SQL objects rather than just copying tables and views, but it wouldn't let me. All I got was a highly descriptive 'Importing failed: an error has occurred'.
The phrase "no sh*t Sherlock" sprang to mind ;)
Weird. I had never tried the object option before but it mostly fails for me too. Strange...

Back