sql2005 owner question

snooper

Perch
hey folks

i just installed SQL Server Developer edition on a new box of mine (used to have SQL Server 2000 on the old one).
I see they now call EM "management Studio" - its the same thing, right?

Anyway, i noted that the import/export wizard, although it works pretty much the same, doesn append (or add) to the same user.tableName , but rather to dbo.tableName.
This is quite a pain for me.... is there a way to overcome this?

[in the end what i did was link the SQL db to a local ODBC Access interface and added thru there, but thats even more of a pain!]

Thanks!
Sn

ok, anytime you make a table as DBO it will be owned by DBO, if you want to be user.table you need to go to security, logins, then make a user and DONT give it DBO, give it datareader, datawriter

Thanks Stephen.
i'm confused - these table were created in EM (or management studio) - so how did they get the right user permissions, where as the import (only the new import, not the old one in EM) messes these permissions?

and.. do we have the security, logins etc options when accessing DBs at Jodo?

Thanks!

starting backwards, no you don't have such option here.

Second, to make as user you need to make sure you are on Windows and SQL Authorization mode, and then as you use management studio(EM, sadly can't shorten management studio to MS, just confusing). You need to login not as the Windows Auth default, but SQL default with the SQL login you made that I previously referenced. If you use Windows Auth it will be under admin user :)

Second, to make as user you need to make sure you are on Windows and SQL Authorization mode, and then as you use management studio You need to login not as the Windows Auth default, but SQL default with the SQL login you made that I previously referenced. If you use Windows Auth it will be under admin user :)

So i have to log in twice ? ?(

ok, i just tried this again, since writing with you.
When i start Management Studio, it asks me to logon (to the 204... server) - with either SQL or Windows.
I dont have Windows authentication, so obviously it rejects me.
So i have to logon using my SQL user/pass that i set up on the CP.

where have i gone off track?

Thanks!

:)

I need to find out exactly where you are with this, I am confused now. If that user your are logging in with has DBO any table made will be DBO unless you prefix it in your own create table statement.

Back