Stop Gap Domain

I just created a stop gap domain for a client so that we can create a Joomla site for them on Linux without taking down their existing website, which is hosted on Windows.

What is the process for assigning the real domain name to the account once we are ready? I know that we will have to disable to old windows account so that we can add the domain on the Linux server. But after that, what do we do?

Not sure if it's the official procedure, but I did essentially what you're asking when I moved a domain recently. Here's what I'd do:

1) Add the domain to the account (on the domain's page, there's an add button).

2) Use FTP to rename the domain's directory (e.g. ~/yourdomain.com) to anything. You could probably just delete it here, but I'm always cautious.

3) Use FTP to rename the existing stopgap folder to the domain's name.

4) Update the CMS config files, htaccess, etc. to point to the new path.

5) Later, once you're sure all is working, delete what had been the domain's directory (renamed in #2) and delete the stopgap from Hsphere.

My "how to move" thread is at: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=21742

Steps provided by skypather looks good. You may want to edit DNS TTL as mentioned in that other thread to ensure minimal downtime with this switch.

Back