Strange errors connecting to an Access MDB

antic

Perch
Strange recurring errors connecting to database

Hi,

I've been seeing errors in my application log when it's trying to connect to an Access MDB. The error happens at various times, the latest being continuously from 8:58pm GMT through to 9:43pm GMT.

I'm not getting any straight answers from support about this, just the standard "please provide the URL where we can see the error." and "we can see no error now.." etc. They dont seem to understand what "intermittent" means. :)

The server is Win11. The ASP error is -2147467259 "Unspecified error" which doesn't help a great deal.

Can anyone shed light on what might be causing this? It happend this last time when the site was being crawled, so I got about 120 error reports over that time period.

Browsing the site manually myself doesn't give any errors, so it must be due to something happening on the server at that time. Can't think of any other explanation at this point, but support can't point to anything either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Access db's are limited on the number of concurrent connections that are allowed at one time. Other problems could be how much data is being accessed, and the type of connection you are using (DBO, ADO, ODBC).
Make sure you are closing the connection after each query as well.
I have used access for several sites and always had problems. When I converted them to MS-SQL all problems were solved.

Hey Antic

I'm wondering if this is some kind of issue with Server.MapPath? Have you tried an absoute path for your ADO connection?

hmm, concurrent connections, by Jove that's probably it.. forgot about that. Thanks!

Hafa: Haven't tried a literal path, no.. but I've never had an issue related to MapPath before.

I personally don't see how Mappath could cause an intermittent problem. But you never know...
I still use access db's for projects where I don't expect many hits. But you must be sure to close every connection after using it. Many people forget this. If you don't it will cause performance issues and other problems.

90% of access issues intermittent is connection related, being that it has maxed out how many it can do, or it has multiple writes at the same time that conflict and generate errors.

Ok, I can see this error is also happening when connecting to a database on MSSQL5.

The ASP error is still -2147467259 (unspecified error) and the latest occurrence was today from around 3:15am to 3:22am server time. The error occurs on the line that opens the ADO connection to the db.

Update: Suport says there was no problem on MSSQL5 - so what could be causing these MSSQL connection errors? It happens every few days and lasts several minutes.

Back