Subdomain question

Hello

I'm getting ready to sign up for a reseller account and i'm kind of new to the whole DNS thing so i'm slowly learning about the ins and outs of it.

Here is my scenario:
Say for instance I own the domain portmonkey.com. (Hopefully i'll get everything working correctly :lol:, but for this example, say it's fully functional :D) Right now i've got a test server setup in my apartment. I have a dynamic ip cable internet provider currently setup with a no-ip.org dynamic dns service (p0rtmonkey.no-ip.org). I want to create a subdomain for portmonkey.com called home, ex: home.portmonkey.com. Is there anyway I can point home.portmonkey.com to the test-server in my apartment with a dynamic ip address? What would I have to do to make this work? Is it required that I have a static ip address?

Thanks a million!
Patrick B.

If portmonkey.com points to your DNS servers at JodoHost, you would add a CNAME entry to the DNS Manager.
A CNAME is basically an alias, you'd tell it to use p0rtmonkey.no-ip.org instead of directly entering an IP address.

This is a little bit slower since both home.portmonkey.com and p0rtmonkey.no-ip.org need to be resolved, but this is usually hardly noticeable. If you had a guaranteed static IP, you could make a normal A record, directly referring to the IP.

Back