TFT Monitor / TV ...?

OJM

Perch
Hi all,

Does anyone have any knowledge of TFT monitors / TVs?

My parents are buying me one for my 21st birthday, but I'm not sure which to choose. I have about ?350 to spend, so I've been looking at 20" screens, in particular, this one;

Viewsonic N2010 20" LCD TV 16ms Silver Monitor

I'd really appreciate any help / info / suggestions etc, as I don't want to make a mistake and regret it later.

Cheers :)

Oli

Oli - Dixons sent out some free blurb earlier this week which had loads of stuff on LCD TVs. Call in to your local branch and get a copy.

The LCD TVs are pretty good for small sizes and have pretty good picture quality.

However if you are looking at TVs above 50", plasma is the best. Plasma TV prices have also fallen quite a bit in the last few years

Cheers Rob, I'll get into / onto Dixons!

Yash, I wish I could afford a 50" plasma :( I'll have to make do with a small LCD at the moment though *sigh*

I was generally stating about the technology (LCD vs Plasma) since I have looked into this myself. :) I have been looking at 60" plasmas for a while but can't really afford one either :(

I'd say you made a good choice of a gift for your parents there. I would personally buy a bigger flat CRT TV as a gift rather than a smaller LCD TV, for the same price. CRT clarity is as good as LCD if not better. It's just more bulky which is why CRT is losing steam, but yet not a bad buy

Yash, we'll both have to start playing the Lottery then :( Mmm, a 60" plasma TV would look great in my room :D

Yeah I know what you mean about the CRT prices etc. I already own a 20" CRT, but it's huuuuuuuuge...it takes up the whole top of my drawers, and along with the 19" CRT monitor, I feel like the room's closing in on me :( so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, and buy a dual TFT.

Dave, do you recommend Viewsonic then? I was looking at TV's with PiP, and noticed this one doesn't have that feature. Ah well, we can't have everything I suppose (looks at the 60" empty space on my wall)

Is PiP the ability to view two channels at once?

I won't be able to tell you that right away, cause I use it to watch TV only, it got pretty good image quality.

Let me know what PiP is and I'll check it tonight and let you know.

Yeah, it's where you can view other channels in small windows, while viewing a different channel on the main screen - or PC / TV screen etc.

Don't worry about testing it, a site stated that the N2010 doesn't have it. But then again, on your model you might find a feature that you thought you never had :D

OJM said:
That looks well smart!

Ah ha, on the Viewsonic website, it says the N2010 has PiP : http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDTV/N2010.htm

I think I've made up my mind for my bday present :)

Oj,

Nice choice.. But, it's a 4:3, wouldn't you be better looking at 16:9's?

For ?350, how about something like this: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?SAM-MH17WS (Novatech are my local computer store)
It has widescreen, PiP, Teletext, Memory Card reader and a 3year warranty.. Jeez - think I might upgrade mine 8o

Dave96 said:
I paid much much less, around 1000$ canadian.

That's about $20 US, right?
biggrin.gif

Back