The DIY Dahl thread

antic

Perch
Thanks for Neeraj for clearing up the papadam (or "papad") spelling issue I was having. :)

In honour of the Indianness of this business, I'm starting this thread so anyone who wishes, can contribute their Dahl recipes (come on, we all have one!) so Neeraj, Yash and the crew can see how hopeless we are at Indian cuisine. :nono:

Here's my faster-than-light vegetarian Dahl recipe which I kinda made up - nice and quick so I don't get too distracted from work of course. :typing:

1. Put a pot on the stove. That's all you'll need besides a wooden spoon.
2. Open 2 cans of lentils, and 2 cans of chickpeas - drain, rinse and thrown into the pot.
3. Add about a cup of coconut milk, keep stirring all along!
4. Add around 2 tablespoons of rogan josh paste (to taste) and a teaspoon or two of garlic (I just love garlic)
5. A teaspoon of curry powder
6. Sprinkes of: cardamom, tumeric, cumin, and I also use a tiny bit of nutmeg and cinamon.
7. Take 2 or 3 bay leaves, crush them in your hand and throw them in. Bay leaves are a must.

Keep stirring. If it gets too thick, add some more coconut milk.

That's about it for my on-the-run version of dahl. I'm sure to have shocked a few staff members. :) Perhaps after a few of us have contributed, they can pitch in with some serious kosher dahl recipes we can try out! Love dahl!

And don't forget the papads! 1:30 in the microwave usually does em for me. :thumb:

I liked "curried rice" (which I know means a lot of things, so many variations!) but I add some Mexican zip to it(being from Texas, it is a must!) with some Jalapeno peppers, I am sure that would not be too acceptable to many :D

Oh yea, and the mango salsa is a must on the side with some whole wheat crackers, yum!

That is my mexicanized view of Indian curry :)

But no recipe, I doubt we make it the same ever, sometimes it has mushrooms and curry, sometimes mushrooms, lentils and curry, just different all the time. I don't even know if mushrooms are eaten much in India really, have not taken time to ask, but I for one love them! Nothing like a good Portobello "burger" with onions and tomato.

ooh yeah, mango chutney goes fabbo with dahl and rice, as well as some plain yoghurt.

Man, I'd sooo love a good recipe for mango Lassi (sp?)

edit: Mango Lassi is easy apparently... blend a mango with some plain yoghurt & honey. And I thought it was gonna be something esoteric and complicated. :)

Bring on the esoteric dahl recipes...

That is a better word for "salsa" ours it a little more simple and not quite as sweet as a typical chutney, but the taste is much the same. Good stuff.

How I make Mango "salsa", the amounts all depend on how much is made and how large the mangoes are.

Chopped Mango
Onion to taste
Cumin to taste
Fresh garlic to taste
(different, mexican here) Cilantro to taste
A touch of salt
Fresh crushed black pepper
Jalapeno to taste
anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of apple cider or plain vinegar.

Back