Ticket answers not helpful

A customer contacted me today about some emails she sent that got returned. She was sending from an AOL account to email addresses hosted through my reseller account. I couldn't see anything obvious, so I created a ticket and forwarded the "returned mail" messages to support. I asked for a reason for these messages to be returned. From the messsages it looked like a time-out issue with mail4 server.

The answer I recieved from support was:
"Can you please try it once again and let us know if the issue persists."

Is that what I'm supposed to tell my client? She wants to know why emails aren't getting through, and I'm supposed to say,"Try it again!"?

When a reseller is dealing with customers, and we ask for explanations to pass on, is that too much to expect? We're trying to maintain trust and confidence, so just telling them "Try again" makes us sound like we don't know what's going on.

Good Oyster,

See the status forum about rDNS down yesterday, since AOL enforces all to have an rDNS reply if it was sent yesterday between 2pmish and about 4am this morning rDNS would not be replying for cluster1 on most mail servers.

This is not an issue for most ISPs to have a tempfail on rDNS but for AOL it is, and AOL would reject.

The IP provider of those IPs replaced their server last night after it failed for the 2nd time in about a week.

In this case, simply resending the mail is the proper action.

Thanks for the explanation. So AOL requires rDNS from the receiving server on outgoing emails, not just from the sending server for incoming? And it sees the lack of rDNS response as a timeout?

Anyway, my reason for posting still stands. Tech support could have included something as simple as "our rDNS for that mail server was down yesterday when these emails were sent", and that would have been more helpful.

Back