Toronto Rogers ISP and Hshpere hosts

QuietCalm

Perch
For the last year, a large majority of Toronto using Rogers Internet cannot view websites hosted at ANY hsphere web host. Sympatico and all other providers seem to be resolving just fine.

Rogers is a VERY large provider of Internet Access in Canada. And it is only Rogers customers in Toronto (north and north eastern). My company uses Rogers (outside Toronto) and we have found their service to be very good, so I am not knocking Rogers here but this is defintely happening.

Has anyone had Toronto customer complaints where they cannot view any sites on hsphere hosts? Why or how can they be blocking just hsphere hosted customers? They cannot see my jodo hosted sites, nor the sites on my own hsphere cluster in Dallas. Very weird.

This is not specific to Jodo's network. It is a very large portion of Toronto. Rogers has proven to be unhelpful in the resolution. It has been like this a year now.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this same problem pop up?

QuietCalm

For the last year, a large majority of Toronto using Rogers Internet cannot view websites hosted at ANY hsphere web host. Sympatico and all other providers seem to be resolving just fine.

Rogers is a VERY large provider of Internet Access in Canada. And it is only Rogers customers in Toronto (north and north eastern). My company uses Rogers (outside Toronto) and we have found their service to be very good, so I am not knocking Rogers here but this is defintely happening.

Has anyone had Toronto customer complaints where they cannot view any sites on hsphere hosts? Why or how can they be blocking just hsphere hosted customers? They cannot see my jodo hosted sites, nor the sites on my own hsphere cluster in Dallas. Very weird.

This is not specific to Jodo's network. It is a very large portion of Toronto. Rogers has proven to be unhelpful in the resolution. It has been like this a year now.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this same problem pop up?

QuietCalm

?( wow have never heard or seen this.

Yeah.. it is a very bizzarre situation.

At first I thought our own hsphere cluster was the only one. But after testing with some customers.. they can view every website EXCEPT those hosted with providers using hsphere. Different data centers in different countries even.

One hsphere is at peer1 in Toronto and my own cluster is in Dallas Texas... same problem. They cannot reach jodo hosted sites either by the way. VERY weird.

Now I have NO IDEA WHY or even HOW they block all hsphere host companies but it is becoming quite an issue for Canadian customers of mine (mahy of which are hosted at jodo right now).

I am trying to reach out to other fellow hsphere resellers, cluster owners to see if anyone has any info about this because I can't seem to get anything out of Rogers Internet. I talk to their front line techs.. and they say customers are not permitted to contact admins directly for any reason.

Anyway, we will see if anyone else has run into this. I also posted at psoft's forum to reach out a bit.

I know it is not jodohost.. but thought jodohost's other reslleers might like to know or share their input.

Thanks

QuietCalm

I almost don't know how it could be possible unless they are blocking DNS but that would seem to have some major downsides, some big sites would not be accessible.

Possible to get a tracert from their network?
If the trace completes fine, can you have try using opendns nameservers on the computer and see if helps?

I sent a private message to Stephen in response to his private jmessage request... did he get it?

This is defintely happening. The why is puzzling.?(

QuiteCalm

The problem here is hsphere name service. There is something about hsphere name service that is causing this, or that rogers does not like. Again, only hsphere hosted websites having this issue.

Here is an ip you can use to query rogers nameservice: 64.71.255.198

Use that nameservice and you will find that you cannot reach websites hosted on hsphere.. and I mean any hsphere host. Psoft does not seem to want to do anything about it either from what I hear.

It is like we have to get a huge group of customers miffed to get something done.. so I am trying to do just that.

If you get any ideas, let me know. This affects all hsphere hosts and resellers. It's that kind of scope. So I am trying to bring this out onto the light a bit.

QuietCalm

Back