trace routes

reptilecrazy said:
Try this link here,
lots of usefull stuff.
Cant explain though so i'll leave that to the big guys.

Here

Thanks RC. I've seen it discussed on this forum a few times. I was wondering if the IP Routing Lookup or Tracert was what they were referring to, but I don't quite understand the results or how it works. I was hoping for a simple explanation (if that's possible!) if anyone is willing..

LegalAlien said:
I was hoping for a simple explanation (if that's possible!) if anyone is willing..

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'll try.
A trace route allows you to see the path a request takes to reach its destination. The results show you each hop taken and the time required for each (in milliseconds), as well as packet loss information. This data allows you to see if there are delays or other problems along the path to the destination. Hops that take a long time or have high packet loss can indicate a problem at that point in the network. These problems include a router going bad, too much traffic going through that segment, and a variety of other factors.

On a windows system, you can go to the command line and type:
tracert mydomain.com
If you type in tracert without any arguments and it will show you the options available.

Also, the hsphere control panel has a trace route function you can use. Log on and you'll see it in the menu.

Not sure this is helpful, but it's a start.

riley

thanks riley - what is considered too long?
also, how many hops is too many?

...and if either is bad, is this something the hosting company can address or is it out of their control?

finally, is there a way to find out the actual physical location of a server?

LegalAlien said:
thanks riley - what is considered too long?
also, how many hops is too many?

...and if either is bad, is this something the hosting company can address or is it out of their control?

finally, is there a way to find out the actual physical location of a server?

I cannot answer with precision (you have come close to the limit of my expertise on the subject) but I'll take a stab at it.

I would suggest that more than 200ms for any hop is too much and more than 12 hops is getting a bit high.

If the performance problem is on the network the host uses, they can probably complain to their supplier. I'm not sure there is much you can do.

As for physical location, I don't know. (BINGO, you have exceeded the limit of my expertise on the subject :) )

Anyone with greater knowledge on the subject (not hard to do) should feel free to post.

riley

Back