Transition clients from old to new host?

VividWeb

Perch
I'm looking for some feedback/experience on transitioning clients from an old host to a new one. Some of the clients aren't going to be a problem as I am responsible for all the info in their account anyways, so I can just move them. The ones that I'm not sure how to handle are the clients that manage their own sites via the cp.

Thats a good question? How do you tell your clients that thier host is changing hosts?

That is not one of the senerios that I had thought of as a host. I guess you would have to have both for a period of time and try to give them an insentive(lower price or free period of time) to make the jump to new service. Or if their is service issue tell them that the "service provider supporting the servers" was not supporting them to your standards and that you are transitioning to a new provider with better tools and service.

Try not to lie to them, it wouldn't look good if they found out.

Hope that helps.

That is what I have tried to do. Most of my clients are pretty hands off when it comes to their websites, so it tends to make it a little easier to tell them. The few that are hands on will be glad to see more features in their control panel. So I think it will be win win.

I know you don't want to lie but you could just say you are "upgrading" your servers and/or Control Panel software, which is kind of true!

True it may be an "upgrade" but my previous experiences with an ISP/hosts upgrading servers a few key areas did not change. DNS info remained the same, the providers were able to copy files and recreate domains without my intervention, and IP ranges were similar.

If a user is comfortable with a CP, I would suspect many of them would question the "upgrade".

my 2 cents.

Back