Tricky SQL Question

antic

Perch
Wondering if someone can help me with this..

I have a survey system, fairly basic, which stores Questions, Participants and their Answers:
dfg9lf.gif

Usually there is only 1 Answer record for each Participant-Question combination.
However, for multiple choice questions, there may be more than one Answer record - one for each value selected.

Here's an example, where question 1 is multiple choice.
In blue: Participant 1 ticks answer 3 for question 1.
In red: Participant 2 ticks answers 2 and 3 for question 1:
2ls7dq8.gif

Given the data above, I want to COUNT the number of participants who answered either 2 or 3 to question 1.
The correct result is 2 participants. My SELECT statement might be (simplified):

SELECT COUNT(Participant.PartId) AS PartCount [...inner joins...] WHERE (QuestionId = 1) AND (Answer IN (2, 3))

However, this will of course return PartCount = 3, because 3 records match the criteria, even though 2 of those are the same participant. So my problem is, how do I tell SQL to ignore duplicate participants and give me the result of 2 unique participants matching the criteria?

SELECT COUNT(Participant.PartId) AS PartCount [...inner joins...] WHERE (QuestionId = 1) AND (Answer IN (2, 3))

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT Participant.PartId) AS PartCount [...inner joins...] WHERE (QuestionId = 1) AND (Answer IN (2, 3))

Maybe?

Back