Trying to run a SE friendly URL script (coldfusion)

jag5311

Perch
Hi everyone. I have a script that is suppose to take the ?'s and ="s from a line in coldfusion (in the url) and replace them appropriately with /'s. To give the impression of a folder structure so Search Engines will eat them up.

I have been working with someone on this for quite some time at easycfm.com. I am starting to wonder if its a server issue with Jodohost.

What version of Coldfusion MX are you running here? This might help in my quest to get this working right.

Does anyone know of any good Search Engine Friendly methods for coldfusion?

Thanks
Bryan

Yash said:
Macromedia Cold Fusion MX Enterprise
Version - 6,0,0,48097

---EDIT-----

Nevermind, found out that it works great for links that are like blah.cfm?blah=5

but sucks when trying to do a simple blah.cfm

Hey Yash,

Could you check out this link and tell me if what this script uses can be handled on your servers? http://www.cgi-bin.com/cgi-bin/jump2.cgi?ID=6501

It deals with ISAPI Filters and IIS. I am under the Windows Package.

Let me know if that is something that would work.

Thanks
Bryan

Yash said:
We don't have that DLL installed

In your opinion, what options do you have available where I could alter the way my url's appear to users and search engines, so that it will provide me with better search engine recognition without all the ? marks and = signs.

Thanks
Bryan

This forum is pretty well indexed at google.com even though it is dynamic and uses parameters to display pages. I really don't understand the concept of search-engine friendly URLs.

Yash said:
This forum is pretty well indexed at google.com even though it is dynamic and uses parameters to display pages. I really don't understand the concept of search-engine friendly URLs.

I am assuming you fully understand what search engine friendly url's do then. From the reasearch I have come across, most search engines stop indexing when reaching the ? or = sign of a string. Now, I am not an expert, I am just stating from what I have seen and read.

Thanks
Bryan

my asp website has been indexed by google without any problems... no ISAPI filters there.

haven't heard of any search engines that dont index dynamic pages...and if they do exist, they deserve to die because the internet is no longer static

well, one problem that many search engines run into dealing with dynamic pages is that simple fact, they are dynamic. Sometimes infinite loops occur and force the bot to back out because its going no where. I know there are people on both sides of the equation.

YES search engines love dynamic

NO search engines hate it.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for a URL to have a folder structure.

Yes, google does manage dynamic sites fine, but from what I hear, there are times when it runs into problems.

But even if you will force dynamic pages to look like a folders/subfolders, they still will be dynamic, so the search bot will still have problems. IMHO this is a problems of search bot itself, not yours. As long as search engine supports dynamic pages (and most of them do), why should you care at all?

StPatrick said:
But even if you will force dynamic pages to look like a folders/subfolders, they still will be dynamic, so the search bot will still have problems. IMHO this is a problems of search bot itself, not yours. As long as search engine supports dynamic pages (and most of them do), why should you care at all?

I actually thought that the dynamic part is done behind the scenes, before the information even is sent to the users machine, so all the search engine would see is

foo.cfm/foo1/foo2

just my 2 cents

jag5311 said:
I actually thought that the dynamic part is done behind the scenes, before the information even is sent to the users machine, so all the search engine would see is

foo.cfm/foo1/foo2

just my 2 cents
Sure, but even with "foo.cfm?foo1&foo2", the dynamic part is always done on the server. So what the difference? If you produce some output that can lead to a loop of search bot (again, who really cares?), the same output will be for "/foo1/foo2" and for "?foo1&foo2"

Most search engines will follow dynamic links up to 2 or 3 variables any more. It is because of said prior that (1) bots don't want to get in the infinite loop or (2) multiple pages of nearly identical content just re-ordered (ie, ascending, descending, price, alphabetical).

It is true that there is no difference to content if it is page.cfm?foo1&foo2 and page.cfm/foo1/foo2. But it has been more consistant with getting pages crawled by Google and other bots by "appearing" less dynamic.

It has been my experience that lower traffic sites or lower (PR) sites can benifit from this less dynamic look. It "may" be that SE's are more willing to follow dynamic URL if the site has a higher (PR: More links to the site = more assumed value)

If you have a new site or lower traffic site I would see this as a viable option.

xscott
Web Design and ColdFusion Programming

Back