Unsolicited Email... SPAM! - HELP!

Pious

Guppy
The following is an exchange between tech support and myself. I am getting really tired of unsolicited emails whether or not it's in the form of Virus protection notice or not.

Although it comes from various domain names I have noticed much of it comes from an .it URL. Is anyone else having this problem?

In addition, it now appears the Virus protection is claiming I have tried to send an email I have never sent. This is not... I repeat not a problem with my computer.

To simplify reading my posted request for tech support, I will post the original support request and the reply in separate threads. Furthermore, I have removed my email address to insure my privacy.

ha... that's kind of funny. Privacy.

All replies are welcomed. Let's get this kind of activity to stop. X(

Aug 6, 2004 10:22:20 AM]

Q: I am not sure but it appears someone is using my email address. I am confident these messages are not being sent from my computer so it has to be coming from the server.

Honestly, I have used numerous other Web Hosts before, but I have never received SPAM; like I have been receiving since joining Jodo Host.

Most of this spam is in the form of the Virus annoucement, i.e., Virus Worm.SomeFool.P found in attached mail by ClamAV, however, it's still spam or unsolicited email.

However, more concerning than the aforementioned is the message warning I received today. Yes, it appears the Virus protection stopped the email, BUT I NEVER SENT THIS EMAIL.

The following is a copy of message received:

-------------------

Attention: myemail@address

A Disallowed attachment type was found in an Email message you sent.
This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire message
reaching its destination.

The Disallowed attachment type was reported to be:

SCR files not allowed per Company security policy

Please contact your I.T support personnel with any queries regarding this
policy.

Your message was sent with the following envelope:

MAIL FROM: myemail@address
RCPT TO: [email protected]

... and with the following headers:

---
MAILFROM: myemail@address
Received: from host190-237.pool8251.interbusiness.it (HELO finecovita.it) (82.51.237.190)
by 0 with SMTP; 6 Aug 2004 15:07:10 +0200
To: [email protected]
Subject: Mail Delivery (failure [email protected])
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:07:08 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="multipart/alternative";
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0CA80.6B015D10"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

---

Please identify this problem and advise.

Robert

[Aug 6, 2004 11:53:06 AM]

A: Hello,

If you see the header "Received: from host190-237.pool8251.interbusiness.it (HELO finecovita.it) (82.51.237.190)" it says the mail recieved from host190-237.pool8251.interbusiness.it and whose IP is 190.237.51.82. Now if the mail was sent from our servers the header must be having our mailserver's domain name or our IP which is not the case here. If you feel someone is illegally configuring your mail ID on his/her system and trying to snd mails then we suggest you to change the password for your mail account. Also if you want the Virus notifications not to be sent to you kindly add the a rule to your Outlook or any other mail client to delete the mails with the following subject. This is because the mailserver once catching the virus sends a notification that it has been caught and deleted. Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards
Rajneesh

[Aug 6, 2004 12:18:03 PM]

Q: You know... I see your point but I don't consider this resolved. I visited the http://finecovita.it/ url and it seems someone is setting up a server.

How would someone be able to send email using my email address or domain name? I will change my password, but I really don't believe this is the problem.

In addition, I will post this on your forum.

Not resolved. X(

As unwanted as these e-mails are, they do not really fit the most generally accepted definition of SPAM or UCE. UCE stands for unsolicited commercial email. Basically, SPAM is e-mail that is trying to sell you something and you don't want anything to do with it and you never signed up for it and there is no real way to unsubscribe.

It is extremely simple to "forge" an email address. When you set up your e-mail program (Outlook, Eudora, or whatever) you tell it what your e-mail address is. You can type whatever you want in there. That's who an e-mail will appear to be from. This is probably not what's happening, but it illustrates the point - there is no simple way to verify who any e-mail is really from.

What is probably happening to you is that someone has a virus. That "someone" has your e-mail address stored on their computer somewhere (address book, temporary Internet files, any file). It is a popular technique these days for virus writers to make their viruses "harvest" e-mail addresses from a victim's computer and then randomly use these addresses as to: or from: addresses of the virus-infected e-mails that the virus sends out.

In other words, the messages are not SPAM, you are probably correct that you are not the one guilty of sending the messages, and JodoHost is not to blame. The ones to blame are the virus writers, the careless person who allowed their computer to be infected, and the e-mail admin of finecovita.it. That e-mail admin ought to know that the "from" address of viruses is usually forged and should configure the mail server to not bother innocent people such as yourself.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I hope that helps.

Back