urgent: Win2 out of disk space??

Ross

Guppy
Win2 out of disk space??

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing an "out of disk space" error on win2. I feel I might be fairly unique in this case since my site has a high frequency of file uploads. I've checked our account pages and we have enough free space on the account.

My guess at this time is that win2 has run out of disk space. I've tried raising a support ticket but i'm not sure if I've done it correctly.

Ok, thanks for the quick response Yash... I did raise a ticket but i've done it on the old system by accident (just habbit :p).

I'll have another check on my account pages, but last I checked I had ~2100 out of 2500 MB used up. Perhaps the ASP.NET framework is taking account of our database sizes somehow. But then we have 3000MB on the whole account so I'm not really sure how it arrived at an "out of disk space" error.

Just a quick question... are our accounts quota'd in the file system? If so, how does it determine free space?

I'm pretty sure file system quotas are in use. Once I was using double disk space for a few days because there was a local backup on one of the webservers ;)

You would see anything like that on the control panel though, under Account Settings.

That's also where a possible solution lies. I believe the number under "Quota" needs manual adjustment after you increase the maximum diskspace for a plan. The number is separate from the Disk Limit number.

For anyone who might be following this ...

My Site

People upload racing tracks for a game. It's pretty much the purpose of the site, and without it our site is dead.

Problem

Site has been running for over a year. Suddenly users are receiving "there is not enough space on the disk" when attempting to upload.

Account Stats

1) We have 3000Mb on the account (recently upgraded from 2500).
2) The FTP quota was set to 2500Mb, but had only used ~2100Mb.

I would not expect an "out of disk space" under these conditions. However, to be sure, I up'd the FTP quota to the full 3000Mb as recommended by SubSpace. The problem persisted.

We also have two database, current sizes :
223 Mb & 158 Mb

Even accounting for these, the current space used does not exceed our allocated 3000Mb. Disk usage bar shows ~2574 out of 3000 used up.

JodoHost Response

Up until now I have been happy with jodohost's support. All I really want is to be told what's going on, and that's what i've gotten up until now.

However, this time around it's all went wrong.

1) My high-priority support ticket raised from my customer control panel remains unanswered in 3 days (posted sunday 24th).

2) My mail to [email protected] started well but quickly went awry. Two different staff handled the call, but didn't communicate the problem well. As a result, I got told everything was "fixed" because the second staff member had done the wrong thing.

3) The last two responses to my e-mail have been 24 hours apart (for the latter, I actually had to ask for progress). All I'm being told is "we are working on it". This is for a problem I feel I could have fixed myself in 30 minutes.

4) My latest support ticket (asking for progress) raised on the new helpdesk system (yesterday evening) has not even appeared on the "open tickets" list yet. I also have had no response for that.

Conclusion

My site is completely broken, and whether or not this is actually the case, it feels to me like no-one at Jodohost actually cares.

Ross, we definately care.

I am looking into this now. I couldn't find any pending ticket with this issue. What is the ticket ID?

Also, we have a helpline address for support issues that weren't answered to your satisfaction - [email protected]. Any email to that address is CCed to our entire support team.

Yash said:
Ross, we definately care.

I am looking into this now. I couldn't find any pending ticket with this issue. What is the ticket ID?

Also, we have a helpline address for support issues that weren't answered to your satisfaction - [email protected]. Any email to that address is CCed to our entire support team.

Hi Yash, thanks again for your very quick response. I have here the ID from the e-mail subject line: [JH #GSY-42880-105]. This is the one which most progress has been made on.

The original high priority ticket I rasied on the old system has ID: 61055. I gave up on this now since more progress was made with the e-mail above.

I don't have an ID for the helpdesk.jodohost.com system because the ticket never went into my open tickets list so I can't check it.

I found your issue. It seems that your site is still resolving to the old WIN2!!!

I remember stephen mentioned to me that there was one account that wasn't migrated properly to the new win2.

I am going to to talk to him and get back to you shortly

Ahhhhha!

I use dyndns to resolve our domain to the IP of your win2 machine. I do this because it enables me to move my site much more easily to another host (i had problems before where a host stole my domain name and I couldn't get it back, which is why I've done it seperately this time; not anything personal against jodohost ;).

That said, you guys never sent me a mail to say you were moving the server in the first place! (although that may be a fault at my end, because i've had probelms with my mail recently).

So, am I safe to update the IP addresses? Or will my site be out of date now since people have been using it since the migration?

Oh, I am so sorry. I am going to be reviewing how this Win2 migration took place. It was very well organised technically but communication wasn't the best I agree.

Win2's new shared IP is 204.10.108.1

Just change it and let us know when you want us to update content from old win2 to new win2 for your account.

You can also manually log into the old win2 (ftp ip: 66.36.229.91) and move content to your new FTP account at win2.jodoshared.com

Ok, not to worry, I'm happy we know what the problem is now! :) I'm just slightly concerned you had to get involved personally to get it sorted out (perhaps the support staff need a way to escalate tickets they are unable to deal with to people with more training/skills?).

Anyway I've updated our IP address now.

I was hoping for Jodo's help with synchronising the two sites now. The problem I have is that the "files" directory in both "sunrise.tm-exchange.com" and "original.tm-exchange.com" contain many thousands of files. I don't really have any realistic way of transfering files from here.

I need to get the files directory sync'd on both these sites, taking all the changes from the old win2 server across to the new one.

You guys can probably do that a lot quicker than I can remotely?

Yes we can. We can do multiple Syncs. Just open a ticket whenever you want a sync done.

Actually, I stumbled upon this issue by chance. I wanted to ping your website to make sure you weren't accidently hosting it with another host (believe me, we've had customers that have done that and have blamed us when their host went down :) ) and discovered you were pinging to old win2.

Believe me, the staff we have is very qualified. You won't find the techs with the same sort of qualifications with other hosts :)

Hello Ross,

I just wanted to chime in here, I am sorry that I did not communicate to everyone the new shared IPs. I believe the only people affected by this were people that had/have been using outside DNS, which is a very small number of people. I will take this into consideration when doing any migrations in the future.

Thanks all :)

Of the three methods for raising a ticket, I will use the only one that worked over these last 3 days...

ps. did you ever work out why those other 2 tickets got lost?

Back