Virtual Private Servers

VIRTUAL PRIVATE SERVER
--------------------------------------------------------

A server, usually a Web server, that shares computer resources with other virtual servers. In this context, the virtual part simply means that it is not a dedicated server -- that is, the entire computer is not dedicated to running the server software.
Virtual Web servers are a very popular way of providing low-cost web hosting services. Instead of requiring a separate computer for each server, many virtual servers can co-reside on the same computer. Performance is not affected and each web site behaves as if it is being served by a dedicated server.

I guess what is confusing me is that I am trying to set-up my reseller packages, and im looking at the ones you guys offer. Is there a difference between me setting up a fully loaded linux account and setting up a VPS account?

A Linux-based hosting account is just a hosting account that runs on a Linux box instead of a Windows box. VPS is as if you have your own dedicated server and you have root access. So, you need to know how to do Linux administration and all of that to be able to work with it. As Maheep mentioned, VPS is not REALLY your own dedicated machine, but a virual machine that runs within a real machine. If all you want is to run a web site on Linux, you want to use Linux hosting and not VPS. VPS is much more complicated. I fooled around with it once and, as I recall, it didn't even have Apache installed so you need to start there. I'm no Linux guru so I couldn't figure it out.

afaict, vps server have a bare minimum installed when you first set them up. did my first today. there wasn't even an ftp server.

redhat :(

What is the chance and future plans to provide a similiar service on the windows platforms. Microsoft and VMware has pretty good softwares for that...

I would be highly intrested in that...

hgurol said:
What is the chance and future plans to provide a similiar service on the windows platforms. Microsoft and VMware has pretty good softwares for that...

People have asked before, iirc. However it isn't very cost effective as you need a Windows license (etc) for each virtual server. Total license costs would probably approach that of normal Windows dedicated hosting.

yeep,
thats what I also worried about... but that would be nice if there was a way to make it avaliable without bumping the prices.... anyway, thx...

If it was, we would have done it by now :)

Dedicated server prices are coming down sharply and will continue to decline IMHO. Offering Linux on VPS is possible considering there are no licensing costs and its resource overhead is much lesser than Windows.

Back