Web Log Question

brawney

Perch
I have a site that has many domain aliases. Will the webalizer package show me which domain alias was used by the visitor?

Example:
mydomain.com is the main domain and I have aliases mydomain.net and .org.

Will webalizer show me how many people got to my site using each of these three domains?

If not is there a free analyzer tool available I can use on my local PC by downloading the raw log files? I saw a post in here a couple months ago but can't find it now.

Webalizer doesn't show this directly as far as I know.
The Referrers section might give you some clues depending on how your site is built, but nothing conclusive.

This information is not part of the default IIS logfile format, so I doubt it is available from logfiles. If you're interested in this information I suggest you implement a little counter, keeping track of the number of hits on the main page for each domain alias.

Thanks. I will create a counter. I wanted to make sure this info was not already available somewhere before I put the effort into this.

SubSpace said:
Webalizer doesn't show this directly as far as I know.

The Referrers section might give you some clues depending on how your site is built, but nothing conclusive.

This information is not part of the default IIS logfile format, so I doubt it is available from logfiles. If you're interested in this information I suggest you implement a little counter, keeping track of the number of hits on the main page for each domain alias.

SubSpace said:
This information is not part of the default IIS logfile format, so I doubt it is available from logfiles.

My logfiles have a field named cs-host and it faithfully tells me which was used (mydomain.com, mydomain.net, or mydomain.org). I don't think Webalizer does anything with that field, but I don't know because I don't use Webalizer.

riley

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. I know I saw a post somewhere around here in the last couple months where someone recommended a free desktop program that we could use to view our raw log files, but I can't find that post anymore.

Edit: found it! http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=236

I remembered that thread talking about the definition of "desktop" so I did a search on that.

riley said:
My logfiles have a field named cs-host and it faithfully tells me which was used (mydomain.com, mydomain.net, or mydomain.org). I don't think Webalizer does anything with that field, but I don't know because I don't use Webalizer.

riley

Where do I find my raw log files? I also have both log and webalizer options enabled for my website. Is this OK? I'm going to try to use SawMill but I need to know where to get my raw log files from.

riley said:

riley

brawney said:
Where do I find my raw log files? I also have both log and webalizer options enabled for my website. Is this OK? I'm going to try to use SawMill but I need to know where to get my raw log files from.

As long as you have raw logs enabled, I don't think the webalizer option makes any difference.

Your raw logs are in a folder under your account. There will be a folder under /logs for each domain and subdomain for which you have raw logs enabled.
/youraccount/logs/domainname1
/youraccount/logs/domainname2
/youraccount/logs/sub.domainname2
etc...

riley

Riley, thanks. I have the directories under log as you describe. But the files in those directories only go back to 3/16 (a week). Any ideas on this? How far back should they go? I guess since I have the log files that raw logs is enabled, but where is that setting made?

riley said:
As long as you have raw logs enabled, I don't think the webalizer option makes any difference.

Your raw logs are in a folder under your account. There will be a folder under /logs for each domain and subdomain for which you have raw logs enabled.
/youraccount/logs/domainname1
/youraccount/logs/domainname2
/youraccount/logs/sub.domainname2
etc...

riley

brawney said:
Riley, thanks. I have the directories under log as you describe. But the files in those directories only go back to 3/16 (a week). Any ideas on this? How far back should they go? I guess since I have the log files that raw logs is enabled, but where is that setting made?

brawney,
I think the logs are deleted nightly, so that there is only a week's worth. I'm not aware of any setting in control panel to set this, but maybe support could do that for you. ???

I download my logs on a regular basis and store them locally. If the system didn't automatically delete the log files, they would eventually eat up all my diskspace, as I would likely forget to delete them myself.

riley

riley said:
brawney,
I think the logs are deleted nightly, so that there is only a week's worth. I'm not aware of any setting in control panel to set this, but maybe support could do that for you. ???

I download my logs on a regular basis and store them locally. If the system didn't automatically delete the log files, they would eventually eat up all my diskspace, as I would likely forget to delete them myself.

riley
OK. Makes sense. I'm going to play with Saw Mill and if it works out I'll just make sure I download the logs at least once every 7 days.

Thanks.

Back